Newspaper Page Text
ME SCRANTON TRlBUNEWEDNESDAY, MAY 28, 1002.
BUSY DAY FOR THE KNIGHTS
IBBBBBMfffK" '' t&( MIEHwkSBh
bbbbbbbbBh&2f J $..' o f felaMMBMaMBMBaaMHiMB
rasaK, v"v '''' 52MBBBV?iy0ra!SHSsw9Bi1H
VBM ' t ' "aMHPiil'Sislll fiffi
., I rf
VERY EMINENT SIR EZRA S. BARTLETT.
Will Today Be Installed as Grand Commander of the Grand Commandery,
Knights Templar, of Pennsylvania.
THERE Is no moi e remoteness In the
world, for literature and science
and art bring all places and all
times near to the place and the time
that we call today. Hard-headed and
hard-hearted as our today may be,
sometimes It Is good to drift aeioss it
the dust of centuries and to sec it as a
ml rase of the fair past whose glory
reaches down through the distance and
Illumines the sordid ambitions.
Yesterday, with Its brave banners, Its
waving plumes and luring music was
as potent as the wand of a magician
in rehabilitating the far off years.
When that' sea of white capped waves
followed the wonderful mass of melody
which sang "Onward Christian Soldier"
to a multitude of hearts, the thrill made
all the romance of the past very real,
and the tales of t'hc crusadcts and their
holy quest gave a sudden realistic
vision of something lovely and hitherto
dim and far away. The spell lasted
until last night and deepened amid the
Tiever-to-bo forgotten scenes In the
great armory, where thice thousand
knights and ladies gathered.
DAY THAT WILL LIVE.
Long will yesterday live in the
memory of the thousands of Knights
Templar, here in attendance on the
forty-ninth annual conclave of the
Grand Commandery of Pennsylva
nia. The gorgeous parade of the
morning, with its crowning featuie,
the massing, respectively, of the bands,
banners, and sir knights, and the gtand
ball and tournol of the nlghL with its
entrancing spectacle of plumed knights,
and handsome, richly-gowned women,
dancing and promenading amid the
most extravagant decorations and bril
liant Illuminations, comprised a duo of
events that must needs have made an
indelible impression on all who enjoyed
These two events, together with the
opening session of the grand command
ery, and various pleasure excursions ar
ranged by the local committee made it
K. 6IR AND REV. C. M. STOCK,
Of Hanover, Grand GenciallsHlmo of the
a most busy day for the knights and
their ladles, and when the end of the
day's programme was reached, with the
last of the foity numbers on the dance
programme, at an early hour this morn
ing, there were many, no doubt, tired
though they were, who regretted to
hear the customary llnale waltz, "Home,
Sweet Home." It was a day all too brief,
though It had borrowed several hours
from Its successor.
Only one- 'thins was wanting to make
K a perfect day, unci that was sunshine.
At eutly dawn rain was descending In
torrents and with a steadiness that be
tokened a long continuance. Fortun
ately, though, the rain ceased morn
than an bout before parade time and
did not recur nguln during the day, It
left heavy, dull skies and a chllllnehs of
the atmosphere that quite wai ranted
outer wraps for the onlookers, but, on
the other hand, the paraders were pio
vlrtcd Willi good weather for marching,
and the volume of the rainfall, besides,
put a finishing touch to the labors of
Director of Public lAVorks Rocljo to huvo
the pavements In the cleanest condition
One of the largest crowds that ever
thronged the cential city viewed the
parade. On the principal streets of the
loute of inaich, ropes wcte extended
along the curbs to keep the spectators
off the roadways, and for many blocks
the sidewalks were almost a solid muss
of humanity from the ropes to the front
of the buildings, Windows and bal
conies along the streets traversed by J
ttye column were crowded to their
capacity, while hundreds sought the
roofs of the bigger buildings aa advan
tageous points of view,
the basest Jam was on the Wash
pMmkff " ' ,v-' IlSlf
S -s-, T
ington avenue side
square, at the northerly end of which
the reviewing stand was erected. The
large stand was tilled with the ladles
of the visiting and local knights and
the reviewing officers, nnd the side
walks on both rides of nnd opposite it
were so crowded that It was almost im
possible for one to get by. When the
parade was passing there It Is a fair
estimate that twenty thousand persons
were In the Immediate vicinity.
Superintendent of Police DoV, with
forty men, patrolled the blocks over
which the column passed and kept the
roadway clear of all obslmctlons. Not
a single accident of any consequence
PARADE AND REVIEW.
The big spectacular event of the con
clave, the paiade and giand review of
the visiting knights, was witnessed yes
terday morning by enormous crowds of
people, undoubtedly the largest out
pouring of the masses seen here since
the letter carriers' parade, nearly three
yea is ago.
The leaden skies and the general
dieurlness of the weather had a ratheT
dampening effect upon the arddr and
enthusiasm of the visiting knights be
fore the parade began, but when they
got into the swing of the march they
,were all unanimous In declaring that it
was "ideal parade weather" because of
the non-appearance of the sun.
The streets In the central city were
thronged with dense masses of human
ity long before 9 o'clock, and when the
parade finally got under way after 10
o'clock the people were lined on the
sidewalks six deep. Director of Public
Works Roche had all the streets along
which the parade passed roped off as
far out as Mulberry street, and the Im
mense crowds weie held back by these
nnd by the entire police 1'oice, which
had been massed in the central city
under the command of Superintendent
Day, who was assisted by all of his
The ctowds were generally well or
dered and only once did the police ex
poilencp any difficulty in handling them.
This was near the reviewing stand, just
before the tevlew, when a crowd of
boys broke thiough the ropes, followed
by a gieat throng of older persons. The
head of the parade was Just halfway
between Mulberry and Linden streets
at the time and the police hnd a hercu
lean task In clearing the street, but
they managed It successfully,
The parade from every standpoint
was a magnificent success, as all
Knights Templar parades of any size
are. The singular beauty of the Tem
plar uniform, with Its trimmings of
silver or gold and with Its while plumed
chapeau, makes a show such as no
military uniform in this country, at
least, can compare with. The effect of
the matching hosts of while a owned
knights, when been from n distance,
was one which for spectacular beauty
cannot be surpassed.
There were tully l,S0O knights in line,
as many as pataded in this city slx
yeats ago. Every man, except the
bandmen, was a Knight Templar,
Grand Commander Penman having In
sisted that no one else be permitted to
parade. The cool weather which pte
vailed enabled u number of the com
mandcrles to go through fancy mnnoeu
vers at various places along the line of
march without fatiguing the members
Dion in A'eut commandery, No. 43, of
AVIIkes-Batie, contributed as much to
the sucicts of the conclave as any of
tho lsltlng eiiiumunderles, its recep
tion, Monday night, nnd the showing it
made In yesterday's parade weie both
extremely ci editable. In Templary, at
least, Wlllccs-Rarre Is very much alive.
The present offleeis of Dleu lo Veut
ate: Eminent commander, Harry u.
Shepherd; generalissimo, Alfred E.
Burnafnid; captain general, Harold N.
Rust; treasuier, George II. Flanaghan;
recorder, David O. McColJum; trustees,
Robert K, Laycock, Samuel J. Tonkin,
Enoch V, Mat pie,
Tho retltlng eminent commander of
Dleu In A'eut commandery Is E. Sir
William II. Helchard, who Is president
of tho AVUkeii-Harro select council, and
who Is also connected with the Harurd
Miinufactuiing company's plant In on
olliclul capacity. During his commund
of tho last year, Dleu lo Veut com
mandery maintained H high standard
for excellent Work, the stated and spe
cial conclaves wero largely attended,
and thirty-two were knighted, bringing
the membership up to 248.
K. Sir AVIIllam IT, Kelchurd was botn
at East Penh, Carbon county, Pa July
10, 1851, Tils patents wero Simon and
Rebecca Romlg Relchard. IIo attended
the public school at Mauch Chunk until
ISCi, and then was a pupil at the night
school preparing himself for tho High
school, which he left In 1867 to learn the
trade of who drawing under his father,
! "US - Vi .. J
unnecessarily. These evolutions always
come In for groat applause from the
The line of march wbb a rather long
one. The parade formed on lAA'yomlng
avenue and swung' Into Washington
avenue by way of Mulberry street. The
marchers continued out Washington
avenue to Pine street and thence to
Adams avenue, down Adams to Spruce,
to Washington, to Lackawanna, to
Franklin, to Spruce and thence to
Orand Commander Penman and the
members of his personal staff whe.ii the
reviewing, stand, opposite the govern
ment building, was reached, lined their
horses In front of the stand and con
ducted a preliminary review of the
eommanderies ns they marched, up
Washington avenue. .
On the reviewing stand with Gland
Commander Penman and his staf, were
the following who did not participate
In the parade, but who appeared In full
Past Grand Master John P. S. Go
blu, of Lebanon, one of the only two
Pennsylvania Tomplats who have been
nt the head of Templary In the United
' II. E. Sir Arthur MrtcArthur. of Troy,
of court houseN. Y., grand standard-bearer of the
grand encampment of the L'nitfd
States; past grand commander and
present grand recorder of tha grand
commandery of New York,- and official
visitor from the grand master of the
T'nlted States to the grand command
ery of Pennsylvania.
Past Grand Commanders John Val
terchamp, 1S68-G9, of Harrlsburg: Df--Wltt
C. Carroll, 1880-81, of Pittsburg:
George W. Kendrlck, jr., lil-?, of
Philadelphia; Joseph Alexander. Ji.,
1883-86, of Scranton; Lee S. Smith,
1887-88, of Pittsburg; William W. Al
len, 1888-83, of Philadelphia; lrmg P.
Wangor, 189)-!)."., of Norristown ; Ed
ward B. Spencer, 18D5-96; oamu2l P.
Yohc, 1806-97, of Easton; Harry M.,
Van Zandt, 1897-98, of Harrlsburir;
James C. Youngson, 18S-00, of Pitts
burg; Adam II. Schmfil, 1900-01, of
Grand Prelate E. Sir and Rev. T. N.
Boyle. D. D., of Pittsburg.
Past Grand Standard Bearor Charles
Cory, of Philadelphia.
Past Grand Warder Cujtis G. Camp
bell, of Johnsto.wn.
Tt. E. Sir Erastus C. Delevan, nf
Bingliamton, grand commander of the
grand commandery of New York.
E. Sir Edwin C. Hall, of Syracuse,
past grand standard bearer of the
Past Commander Austin S. Dump,
of Malta commandery, Bingliamton,
acting as deputy grand commander on
Grand Commander Delevan's staff.
Sir Joseph B. Craig, M. D., of Albany,
as grand generalissimo.
Sir John Little, of New York city,
grand captain general.
Sir Guy Shoemaker, of Elmira, as
grand senior warden.
Past Grand Commander Josiah S.
Davidson, of the grand encampment of
Past Eminent Commander George C.
Marshall, of Unlontown commandery,
No. 49, Unlontown, acting sa guiuo to
the unattached officers.
Then followed what all pronounced
to the most novel and unique feature
attendant upon a Knights Templar
parade ever witnessed In this state.
The idea originated with Grard Com
mander Penman and he received
hearty congratulations ftom the visit
ors from other states, who assured him
that the scheme would be followed at
their future conclaves.
Wherf the coiner of Washington a.e
nue and Mulbeiry street was reached
the eighteen bands which had a pla,e
In the parade fell out of line, toother
with the standard bearers, while the
eommanderies swung east on Mulberry
street and thence by way or Adams
avenue and Vine street, back to a posi
The bands were massed into one vast
musical organization comprising no
less than BOO pieces, all under the lead
ership of Lieutenant Fred Gearhart,
leader of the Third Btigade band. Be
hind them were gathered the com
mandery banners and colors of all the
At, a given signal the great united
band, the largest ever heard in this
city and undoubtedly one of lw largert
that ever played In this country, began
the lit st notes of a march cnlsetlon en
titled "Mareh-Rellgloso," which Is n
medley consisting of parts of the two
well-known hymns "Onward Christian
Soldleis" and "Adeste FHclis."
Down the street tha musicians
marched with soldierly precision, and
LE VEUT COMMANDERY;
who was n superintendent In the wire
plant of tho Hazard company at Mauch
Chunk, He soon became a foieman, and,
In 1880, was transferred to the AVIlkes
Oarre plant, and has been tiupei intend-
K. SIR AVILUAM JI. REICHARD.
cut of tho wire department slnco that
time. Ho was married July 3, 1872, to
Miss Annie E. Williams, of Mauch
Chunk, Dr, B, Wurrcn ltctchard, resi
i3s- ,t-at ,w - - ft"-it
ujiimi ' 'V
; v i 3 j i " i ' il i. -is'
k V t nj&? .;Bw'-
K. STR EZRA II. ItrPPLE,
Aide on the SlaTror the Grand
the mighty effect produced by the five
hundred instruments was indescribable.
It was Inspiring, electtlcal, invigorat
ing. Voices around the reviewing
stand were hushed as the notes of'that
grand old hymn beginning "Onward
Christian Soldiers, Marching On to
AVar," were borne upon a thousand
ears and the eyes of many were dimmed
by tears which rose involuntarily be
cause of the sublime impressiveness of
Behind the band came the standard
bearers with the colors and command
ery standards which were dipped in
passing the.gi and, commander. Thsre
was unfortunately a little gap between
the standard beaters and the fltst of
the eommanderies, but mistakes ate
bound to happen even in the best regu
lated families and no one was binned.
The eommanderies passed tha review
ing stand in "company front" ;ornia
tion with the swords of every knight
The first division formed on Wyom
ing avenue, right resting on Mulbeity
street; the second on Spruce street,
right resting on Wyoming avenue, and
the third on Linden street, right rest
ing on Wyoming avenue.
At 10.15 ut the sound of a bugle, the
divisions formed in column of sections,
and twenty minutes later tho proces
sion moved out, to the bugle command
of "Forward March," and proceeded
over the long line of march.
At the head of the column rode
Grand Commander Thomas F. Penman,
of Scranton, and his staff, composed as
Grand Captain General Wilson I. Flem
ing, chief of stalf.
13. Sir Ezra H. Ripple, of Scianton; E.
Rlr Judaon R. Woolsoy, or Scranton, and
K. Sir Andrew S. Stujer, M. D., of Al
E. Sir A. Howard Thomas, of Philadel
phia, grand net aid.
E. Sir Fred L. Brown, of Scranton,
E. Sir James V. Piatt, of Tunlchnnnock,
grand stnndaid bearer.
IS, Sir William B. Semple, of Easton,
Brand sword bearer.
A ttoop of forty clutssems, from
Corinthian Commandery, No. 32, , of
Philadelphia, acted a escoit to the
grand commandery olllcers. 12. Sir S.
Curtis Ingffllls commanded them. They
tode sturdy horses caparisoned In tegu
lutlon Templar cavalty trappings and
mrede a most Imposing appearance.
The first division of tho parade was
in charge of Eminent Sir R. A, Zim
merman, of this city, who had an his
aides the following knights: Eminent
Sir John A.' Perry, Eminent Sir Frank
dent physician nt Mercy hospital,
AVilkes-Barre, Is a son, and Mrs, F, A.
Craig, her husband being foteinan nt
the Ashley boiler shops, Is a daughter.
Mr, Relchard Joined l.audmatk lodge,
No. 442, F. and A. M In 1SS2, and
served that body as worshipful master
In 1897. Tie became a Roynl Aleh
Mason, joining Sheklnah chapter, No.
182, In 1892; was admitted to Mt, Horeb
council, R. and S, M No, 114, in 1000,
and was knighted In Dieu le Veut com
mandery In 1893 nnd becamo eminent
commander last year, AVlien tho Irem
Temple, A. A. O, N, of M, H., was con
stituted, nt tho Oasis of AVilkes-Barre,
ho traveled tho hot bauds, and In J9C0
was made a thirty-second degree Mason
In Keystone consistory, In the valley of
Ho has long been an active worker In
Maitonlu circles In AA'Ilkes-Barre, and
that his zealous endeavors In behalf of
the craftsmen have been appreciated Is
demonstrated by the positions. of emi
nence he has been called to 1111. The
fidelity that has chatacterlzed hla
labors In the past Is likewise u matter
of pleasure to members of the various
bodies, and futuio honors are In store
The present eminent commander of
Dleu lo A'eut commandery, No, 45,
Knights Templar, of AVilkes-Barre,
Harry Clayton Shepherd, a young
man who is prominent In Masonic cir
cles, and one of tho most public-spirited
and enterprising young busincbs men of
y.fc, , ,mijaiaM..
R. E. SIR THOMAS F. PENMAN,
Gtand Commander of Pennsylvania, In
Charge of tho Patade.
F. Rnemelmeyer, Eminent Sir William
J. Mllligan, Eminent Sir Walter L.
Henwood, Sir Louis E. Beltler, and Em
inent Sir Henry C. Miller.
A body of past eminent commanders
nnd eminent commandets, whose le
spectlve eommanderies did not come
with banners, marched next In what
was termed a "Gold Battalion," be
cause their swords and metal accoutre
ments are all of gold. Only those who
have attained the rank of eminent com
mander may wear gold. The battalion
was led by past commander M. M.
Felkor, of Pittsburg. Among the more
prominent of tho forty men marching
with the battalion was Past Grand
Commander James B. Youngson.
Xo. 2 Commandery, of Philadelphia,
was the first in line with forty swords.
The officers in line Wore: Eminent
commander, C. II. Baud; generalissimo,
T. J. Callahan; captain general, Free
land Hendrlck. In the ranks marched
the following past commanders:
George B. Welles, Forest E. Gordnn,
F. M. Highley, Alexander Klnner, and
A. Howard Thomas. Past Grand Com
mander George W. Hendrlck jr., also
marched with this commandery.
Mountain No. 10 Commandery, of Al
toona, came next with forty men.
There was a spi inkling of men from
Huntington Commandery, No. 65 in the
ranks. The officers In charge wete:
Eminent commander, A. L. Hindi;
generalissimo, G. A. Beekley: captain
general, George WIckuni. Eminent
Commander A. W. Greenwood, of
Huntington Commandery, No. 03 was
also in line. Past commanders march
ing were as follows: G. F. Jackson and
Wilson A. Turner.
The Mozart band from Carbondale
headed Pallstine Commandery, No. 14,
of Carbondale, which sent a delegation
of sixty knights. Eminent Commander
John B. Sherman was in charge and
with him were Generalissimo W. A.
Spencer and Captain General M. II.
Toppcn. Past Commandets John O.
Mills, J. U. Tlngiey, Robert Vnnann
and Geoige M Patterson, F. E, Dennis,
W. II. Lungford, 3. D. Davis, John M.
Stewart, II. B, Wilbur, Henry Carter
and W. D. Evans were In line,
Bauei's band of foity pieces In their
nutty new unifotms of daik blue made
in the regulation navyf'wtyle headed
Coeur De Lion Commandery, No. 17, of
this city, 100 swords stiong. The of
ficers In line were: Eminent com
mander, Edward Evans; generalissimo,
David J. Davis; captain general, Frank
M, Mayer. The past commanders who
carried swords were: Thomas Bariow
mtni, E. D. Buck, E, C. Hughes, C; B.
ancestors fought thtoughout tho Revo
lutionary war, ho Is a member of the
AVilkes-Barre, lie mines from Revolu
tionary stock, nnd by vltttie of tho fact
that both his paternal and maternal
Pennsylvania Society of Sons of tho
He la u boh of Mr, and Mrs, AV, II.
E. SIR HARRY C. SHEPHERD.
. , I
E. SIR WILSON I. FLEMING,
Grand Chaplain General of the Grand
Commandery, and Chief of Staff in tho
Derman, F. S. Barker and A. .
Eminent Sir Frank McSparren, of
Erie, was in command of the Second
division. Riding with him as aides were
tho following knights: Eminent Sir Pen
nell C. Evans, Eminent Sir Frank W.
Martenis, Eminent Sir Herbert R. Lilrd,
Eminent Sir Grant Weldman, jr.. Emi
nent Sir Cassius L. Baker and Eminent
Sir Fred Munch.
Hugh de Payens commandery, No. 19,
of Easton, headed the Second division
with sivty swords. Right Eminent Sir
Samuel (S. Yohe had charge of tho com
mandery during the parade, and with it
marched the following; officers and
past commanders: Eminent Commander
Titus A., Stelner, Generalissimo C. W.
Blxler, Captain General Zacharlah Tay
lor and Past Commanders Robert Lany
and Amos Dinkey. The Allentown band
headed this commandery.
The second In line was the Allen com
mandery. No. 20, of Allentown, in charge
of Eminent Commander Frank W. Mar
tina. Past commanders in line were as
follows: David S. Bachman, William T.
Schleeter and Henry C. Wagner. There
were sixty men in line with this com
mandery. A splendid body of men were noticed
in the ranks of York commandery, No.
21, of York, which followed. The fol
lowing officers and past commanders
marched with the commandery: Emi
nent Commander E. C. La flan, Captain
General J. E. Stein, Past Commanders
E. L. Schroder, J. W. Hlldebrand, T.
K. Devers, II. C. Buckingham, J. F.
McFall, IS. M. Vandersloot, J. Lewis
King. George AV, Kagle, D. A. Munrick.
The Fisk band, of Wllllamsnort,
marched ahead of the sixty knights
representing Baldwin II commandery,
No. 22, of AVIUinmsport. Eminent Com
mander C. La Rue Munson was In com
mand and associated with him was
Captain General Albert F. Young. Past
commanders In line weie as follows:
John F. Laedleln, Herbert Laud, T. S.
Clark, AVIIllam Henry Bloom, Clarence
Else, James E. Krause, George E. Bush,
H. E. Manley and E. F. AVhltman.
Hermit commandery, No. 24, of Leb
anon, had forty-five sir knights In tho
parade, headed by the Perseverance
bund of thut city. The principal off!'
cers and past commanders marching
were; Eminent Commander H. AV. Sle
giiest, Generalissimo C. L. Henry, Cap
tain General John A. AVeiner, Past
Commanders IL G. Miller, Grant AVeld
mun, John T. Raudenbush and W, P.
AVIdmayer. Mayor Abram Hess, of Leb
anon, who is a past commander, was
also In line.
Shepheid, and was born at Philadel
phia, on April 6, 1S64. He Is now Identi
fied 1ft business with tho general build
ing firm of AV, H. Shepherd & Sons,
being an equal partner, and does much
towards tho management of this Im
portant Industry, He is a leading spirit
In the builders' exchange, an active
member of the board of trade, the AA'yo
mlng Historical und Geological society,
and a pioneer member of the AVest End
He Is a young man of splendid liter
ary attainments and has shown n
marked executive ability In every posi
tion he has been called upon to (III.
Mr. Shepherd mih made a Mason In
Landmark lodge, No, 412, F. und A. M
on June 10, 1895, and admitted to She
klliah chapter, No. 182, Roynl Arch
Masons, in 1S96. IIo was elected In Dleu
lo A'eut commandery, No, 45, Knights
Templar, on August 14, 1890, and was
almost immediately appointed to an
office, serving In succession the sub
ordinate pobltlons until March 24, 1502,
when he was elected eminent torn
inattder for tho present commandery
Ho was Initiated into Mt. Horeb coun
cil, No. ?A, l. und S, M on January 6,
1890, und was rapidly advanced, being
elected T, I. O. M. on December 7, 1900.
Ho was admitted Into Irem Temple, A.
A. O. N. M. H., on October 21. 1896. and
is also a member und past officer of
Keystone consistory, tltltty-second de
gree, loca-ted In tlto Valley of Bcranton,
Kntlosh commandery, No. 29, of Phila
delphia, followed with a rather small
representation, there belntr only thirty
knights In line. Eminent Commander
J. L. Duffy marched at the head, nnd
the other omcets In lino were General
issimo James Kelly nnd Captain Gen
eral Harry Clarke. The pnst command
em mnrchlng were as follows: Chris
tian Dlederbeck, A. II. Mackle, Aaron
Keene and Joseph E. Mann, '
Fifty sir knights, comprising the
delegation from Mt. Olivet commnnd
ery, of Erie, were In command of tho
following offlcors: Eminent Commander
W. AA', Gingrich, Generalissimo Absalom
Reynolds and Captain Gonernl J. C.
Grave. With this commandery marched
a delegation of (Ifteen knights from
Ivanhoe commandery, No. 31, of Malm
noy City. The past commanders In line
were: Augustus AA'ebber, Thomas L.
Thomas, Phaon Hermany and L. V.
The Third Brigade band, of Potts
vllle, marched alidad of Hutchinson
commandery, of Norristown, represent
ed by forty-four swords. Eminent Com
mander Samuel Roberts, Generalissimo
Conrad Sheine and Captain General
Frank G. Strltzinger marched nt the
head of the column with Past Com
mnnders Albert F. Lenhardt, Louis
Strltzlngcr, AVilson Althouso and Tim
A pretty sight was presented when
the ninety-two knights, comprising the
delegation from Mary commandery, No.s
36, of Philadelphia, swung down the
line. Besides the regular banner, this
commandery carries a number of black
and white guide standards, which make
a pretty show. Past commanders march
ing just behind tho Sunbury band wero
as follows: Howard March, William J.
Mllligan, AVIIllam McCoach, William H
Bttrkhardt, C. E. Judd, C. T. Parker,
Alfred Gregory and Alexander McCunc.
The Rlngold band, of Rending, head
ed the splendid delegation of 100 men
from Reading Commandery, No. 42.
Eminent Commander William A.
Schmidt, Generalissimo Charles S.
Foos and Captain General John M.
Goas headed the commandery with the
following past commanders: Henry
Sortarls, Thomas Merrltt, Daniel Hen
die, John B. Remington, Samuel B,
NIes, Gus Schlechter, Andrew J. Fink
and T. E. Weber.
The third dision of the parade was!
in charge of Eminent Sir Daniel O.
Cullom, of Wilkes-Barre, who had tha
following eminent sir knights as his
aides: Eminent Sir William H. Ret
chrad, Eminent Sir A. G. Cuslvell
Smith, Eminent Sir AVilllnm E. Perry,
Eminent Sir J. Henry AVIlliams and
Eminent Sir S. D. Bennett.
Alexander's Ninth Regiment band, of
Wilkes-Barre, followed the division
commander heading the Dieu Le Veut,
No. 45 commandery, of Wilkes-Barre
which made the best numerical show
ing of any in line, having 150 men. The
well known figure of Eminent Sir Frank
Dletrlck headed tho column nnd with
him were the following past command
ers: F. L. Brann, W. R. Bowman, R.
H. Laycock, Edward Smith, and D. O.
The Sutton band, of Wyoming,
marched aheud of the St, Alban Com
mandery. of Philadelphia which had
twenty-two men In line among whom
were the following past commanders:
Harry AAr. Smith. A. J. Wilkinson,
Joseph C. Egbert, John D. Carllle and
A. G. C. Smith.
The Roma band of Dunmore led the
thirty knights representing Kensington
Commandery, No. 54, of Philadelphia
among whom were the following pasf
commanders: John F. Ran, F. G
wsuBBHr ! '" V--3BBH
E. SIR DAA'ID O. McCULLGAl. 1
of AVIlkcs-Barre, Commander of Thlri
Division of the Parade.
Warner and AVIIllam Rowen, Thet
Rowley band, of AVilkes-Barre led tha
fifty-six knights from AVyoming Valley,
No. 57, commandery, of Plttston. Tho
past commanders in line were; Alex
ander MeDougal, R. M. Hughes, J. II.
Mosher, O. M. Carpenter, Taylor GrlN
fln, Oscar Davenport, James Ryan, and
There were sixty swords In 'tho dele
gation from Temple Commandery, No,
60, of Tiinkhannock, Eminent Conn
mander Charles E. Space, Generalissi
mo Asa S. Kceler and Captain General
Nathaniel A. McKuun wcto all in lino
together with the following past" com
manders: B.iAV, Lewis, D, AV. Stark,
L. T, Burns, S. J. Stark, AVIIllam Bald
win, Ruel Billings, Harry Metcalf, F,
H, Piatt and Tnrman A'osburg.
A delegation from Chester Command
ery, No, 61, of Chester, was headed by
the Rlngold band, of this city, Eminent
Commander S. E. 13. Kay was In
charge and the following past com
manders curled swords: IT. J. Knott,
Stephen Apploton, Stacy G, Glauser,
Samuel Mitchell and AVllllani M. Ford,
Labt but not least, at the end of the
parade camo Mellta Commandery, No.
68, of this city, with 100 sir knights In
line headed by Eminent Commander
Charles R, Acker. Tito Lawienre band
of foity pieces in their extremely at
tractive uniforms of white and red led
the commandery. Past commanders In
Hue were; Roswcll II, Patterson, O,
D. Van Btisklrk, A. J. Colbum, C. S.
(Continued on 1'dge 5.)