The Meyersdale commercial. (Meyersdale, Pa.) 1878-19??, July 24, 1913, Image 1

Below is the OCR text representation for this newspapers page. It is also available as plain text as well as XML.

    oth Phones.
© 1-4
ls =
hn PA.
! NUMBER 1598
Was Hit by an Automobile in Washington, D. C., and Died
From the Injuries—Was Pastor of the Reformed Church
Here for a Number of Years—As Pastor and Citi-
sen He Is Kindly Remembered by Many.
The community was shocked yes-
terday when news was receivea in
town that Rev. John M. Schick, D.
D., formerly pastor of the Amity
Reformed church, had died at his
home in Washington, D.C. Dr.
Schick had spent a number of years
here as the devoted and beloved pas-
tor of the local church, and had en-
deared himself not only to the peo-
ple whom he served as pastor but to
the community as well. He was a
“Jaan of fine spirit, of broad attain-
ments, and liberal views. Last fall
when “Old Home’’ week was ushered
in he visited Meyersdale and preach-
ed at the morning service and de-
livered an address at the Union ser-
vice in the evening.
As a pastor, he exemplified the life
of a shepherd, in a most beautiful
and becoming manner. He was In-
tensely interested in behalf of his
flock, and consequently he was much
beloved by his people. :
As a scholar he stood high, noted
for his clear thinking, and as a writer
he frequently contributed to the
periodicals of his church.
As a preacher, he preached in a
simple heart to heart manner, con-
veying the deep spiritual truths in a
. way understood by all Not as an
érator did he address his people but
as a preacher of the word of God.
As a man, he was a man among
men, sympathizing with men in their
hopes, struggles and aspirations, in-
terested in the general welfare of the
community, broad in his views, firm
in his heliefs and fearless in advocat-
ing the right, so that his friends and
his influence extended far beyond the
lines of his congregation. i,
As a counselor he was always safe |
"ahd wise. i
Rev. John M. Schick was born in|
Richmond, Va., November 8, 1848, |
and at the time of his death he was
aged 64 years, 8 months and 14 days. |
At the time of the breaking out of
the Civil War he was a boy of about
12 or 13 years. In those exciting
times in Richmond, his people were
northern sympathizers, and it is the
impression of those who are in a posi-
tion to know that his father had been
arrested and imprisoned and while
incarcerated he died. All union sym-
pathizers were commanded to leave
Richmond. His mother and children
started on foot towards the north.
His mother and sister carried their
luggage across the railroad bridge of
the Rappahannock river yhile he car-
ried his younger brother across the
river on his back. At that place they
entered the Union lines and were
transported to Washington. From
there they went to Philadelphia and
from there to Pittsburg.
John learned the broom making
trade and in this way helped to sup-
" port his mother and family
The family attended services in the
Grace Reformed church, where the
honesty, loyalty and intelligence of
the young man attracted the favor-
able allertion of some of the leading
members, who came forward in aid-
ing the boy in procuring an education.
He entered old Mercersburg college
and in due course of time graduated
under the presidency of Dr. E. E.
, Higbee, later state superintendent of
the public schools. Immediately
affer finishing his college course he
entered the Theological Seminary at
Mercersburg and completed his course
in 1876.
He at once entered in to the active
work of the gospel minestry in a miss-
ion at Orbisonia. There he was mar-
ried in the fall of 1881, and then came
here and severed Meyersdale and
Greenville congregations. Later he
was pastor of Meyersdale alone. He
labored here for a small salary and
lived in a small house. He left Mey-
ersdale in the spring of 1888, but he
left.behind him also a monument to
his zeal, energy and ability, the new
new edifice of the Amity Reformed
church, which in its day was the finest
and best appointed church in this
section of the state. From Meyersdale
he moved to Greenville, Mercer Co.,
and served the Shenango charge, con-
sisting of Greenville and surrounding
congregations. While there Heidel-
berg College conferred the title of Doc-
tor of Divinity. From Greenville he
During his pastorate at Washington,
a beautiful church was erected. The
church-at-large contributed liberally
to this enterprise, Amity church con-
t ibuted $500 to this fine church which
n>w has a large congregation.
Dr.Schick was the pastor of ex-Pres-
ident Roosevelt.
Four children were born in his fam-
ily, one died during his pastorate at
Greenville. He is survived by his
wife and the following‘children: hy
James, married, and practing law
in Washington. Mary, singie, at home
librarian at Soldiers’ Home. John,
married about a year ago, living in
The funeral will be held tomorrow
(Friday) and interment will take place
in the Roar Creek cemetery.
Dr. Schick was struck about ten
days ago, while hurrying to catch a
street car, by an automobile. An
ambulance from the Emergency Hos-
pital was summoned. It was found
that his hips were dislocated and that
he had been otherwise bruised. (Wells,
the man who drove the automobile
was not arrested at the time of the
accident.) Atfirst the chances for his
recoyered seemed favorable, but the
shock was to great for him to bear,
and he died on Tuesday afternoon at
3:30 o’clock.
For some years he had been suffer-
ing of heart disease.
Dr. Schick had at one time been
chaplain of the Grand Chapter, Roy-
al Arch Masons. He was an ‘active
member of the Benjamin B. French
Lodge No. 15 F. & A. M. and Colum-
bia Chapter,No. 1,Royal Arch Masons.
He had intended to visit at the home
of C. W. Truxal during the month of
August, when his many friends hoped
to greet him. The sad intelligence of
of his death,consequently brings much
sorrow to this community.
On Friday afternoon the Berlin
base ball team made another visit to
Meyersdale and repeated history in
defeating the home team.
The visiting team played a good
game and the players appear to have
much more confidence in themselves
than theyjhad a year ago. Meyersdale
times played sharp ball and then
again the boys slipped. The Meyers-
dale people of course want the home
team to win, and every boy in town
is a loyal rooter for the home team.
The score was:
Meyersdale.................o.c.i hac nisiinne on 5
Umpire—Chas. W. Williams.
The season is about here when the
typhoid germ is getting in its work.
At the present time there are a num-
ber of typhoid fever cases in town
Mrs. Clay Beynon of the South Side,
Pearl Shultz, at the Shultz restaurant;
the five year old child of Harvey
Schrock on Olinger street; the eight
year old child of Wm. Watson of
North street, and others whose names
we were unable to get. Would it not
be a good precautionery measure to
boil your drinking water now?
Mrs. Ellen Brady, who died at her
home in Lonaconing, Md., last Fri-
day, July 18th, was buried there on
Monday morning from St. Mary’s
Catholic church, of which she was a
very devout member. She was the
mother of Rev. Father Brady, pastor
of SS. Philip and James Catholic
church of this place.
Her funeral was attended by the
following Meyersdale people:—Mr.
and Mrs. J. F. Reich, Mr. and Mrs.
James L. Dixon, Mr. and Mrs. John
Keegan, Mrs. D Dahl, Mrs. Mary
McKenzie, Mrs. John Ryan, Mrs. C.
E. Crowe, and Misses Carrie Stein-
berger, Bessie Coulehan, Tina Collins,
Margaret Weber, Pearl and Grace
Haley; Messrs. M. Foley, John P.
Kelley, J. M. Schlicht, George Logue,
Edward Foley, John Kelley and
Charles Fallon.
The Pittsburg Collegians came to
Meyersdale still smarting under the
defeats they sustained across the
border line on Friday and on Sunday,
determined to wipe out that unpleas-
ant taste. Chas. W. Williams was
the umpire and at one time there was
quite an interesting argument. About
100 boys ranging in age from 8 to 14
years were quite'ready to help dis-
pose of the argument. The little
misunderstanding was very amicably
settled and play was resumed. The
game was noted for fast playing,’
lasting about one hour and twenty-
flve minutes,
Meyersdale put up the best game
of thé season on the home grounds
and for the first seven innings, goose
eggs marked the entire route.
In the eighth inning a passed ball
allowed one runner to score for the
the Collegians and in the ninth a
wide throw 6 permitted another to
cross the plate. The game was an
interesting one and some very nice
playing on both sides. It was a game
of light batting, with honors about
even. The score was as follows:
Collegians—0 0 0 00 0 1 1 —2
Meyersdale—0 0 0, 0 0 0 0 0 0—0
The Meyersdale team has atoned in
the two games played with the Pitts-
burg Collegians for all the iadifferent
playing the team has done during the
season. Their shortcomings are all
forgiven for the splendid article of
ball they played on the two days the
Collegians were here. The game on
Tuesday afternoon was desperately
fought from beginning to end. All
the way through every point was
bitterly contested. There was mani-
fest a stubborn doggedness through-
After the first inning Meyersdale
proved her mastely over the visitors
in every department. The home team
owned the old town after the game.
Johnny Stafford, Meyersdale’s favor-
ite pitehing product occupied the
mound, and after the first inning safe
hits were of rare occurrence while
the home players landed on the Col-
legian pitchers with delightful fre-
quency. The Collegians netted five
safe hits while the home team gather-
ed in twelve, four of which were for
two bases.
The boys played a most creditable
game, but the one particular play
which seemed good for a home run
was caught by the swift footed,
Achilles, known as Charley Bowman,
and the ball was batted by Lytle who
for some reason or other had been
unmercifully roasted during the en-
tire game. But right here we might
say in parenthesis that it is hardly
sportsmanlike to call players names
from the bleachers or grandstand.
Loyalty to the home team does not
require this.
The score by innings was as follows:
Collegians —1 0 0 0 0 000 0—1
Meyersdale— 0 0 1 0 2 101 —5
On Saturday afternoon at 3:30
o’clock the strong base ball team from
Connellsville will be here. With the
fighting spirit that the home team
showed in the last few games, this
game ought to draw a large crowd,
and prove a splendid contest.
In its issue for July, the Somerset
Classis ‘‘Visitor,”’” a Reformed Church
publication the statement is made
that there are four vacant charges in
the Somerset; Classis of the Reformed
church—Somerset, New Centerville,
Beam and Glade. The salary has
been increased in both the Beam and
Glade charges and the remaining va-
cant charges will probably take sim-
ilar action. :
Plans are being made for the con-
struction of a church at Jenners No.
2, and a building is being remodeled
for religious worship at Acosta. These
two points are being served by the
missionary pastor, the Rev. A. J.
Miller. °
The annual picnic of the M. C.
went to Tiffin, Ohio, where he was for
several years pastor of the First R&-
formed church.
In 1900 he went to Washington, D.C.,
and became pastor of Grace Mis
Lowry Post, G. A. R. No. 214, will be
| held at Riverside Park. August 28th.
| Further announcements will be made
| later.
appendicitis on. Monday.
ting at the Denison home.
Simon P; Sweitzer, formerly a dis-
tiller, di at his home in Somerset
Saturday, Bged 67 years. His funeral
was held Monday morning with
services at 0 o’clock at the residence
in charge of the Rey. Dr. Hiram
King. Services at tHe cemetery were
in charge Of R. P. Commins Post, No.
210, G. A. R. and James S. Hinch-
man Camp, No. 122, Sons of Veter-
Mr. Sweitzer, disposed of his dis-
tillery in Somerset several years
ago to Emil Lipscher, of Windber,
and T. J. Crowley, of Johnstown.
Mr. Sweitzer, was a veteran of the
Civil War, having fought throughout
the entiré war. He, went to Somer-
set from Cumberland about 15 years
ago and was married twice, both
wives preceding him to the grave.
He is survived by four sisters, as
follows: Mrs. Albert Johnston and
Mrs. Belle Faith, of Somerset; Mrs.
Wm. H. Walter, of Latrobe, and
Mrs. John Hooyer, of Somerset town-
Elmer Long, son of Charles Long,
deceased, of Salisbury, lost his life on
Sunday morning near Hooversville on
the railroad. The manner in which
the young man lost his life is not
exactly known. He was a worker in
the mines in that locality. He was
aged about 20 years and unmarried.
The funeral was held at Salisbury
on Tuesday forenoon at 10:00 o’clock.
Rev. W. W. Wagner officiated.
His remains were brought from
Hooversville on Monday on train No.
48 and taken to the home of his uncle,
Frank Tedrow of Salisbury, at which
place the funeral services were held.
Mrs. Thomas died at her home
in Elk Lick, on Sunday evening, of
typhoid fever, aged 28 years. Tae
funeral services were held yesterday
morning at 10:00 o’clock. The pas-
tor of the Evangelical church con-
ducted the service.
Ernest Lindeman of Connellsville,
a brother-in-law of C. L. Geiger of
Glade City, brought the remains of
his infant child on Monday and the
funeral was held at the White Oak
cemetery. The child was aged six
months and 1 day. Rev. D. K. Clap-
per conducted the funeral .
Mrs. Lindeman is a niece of S. W.
Bittner and ‘a daughter of Mrs. Matilda
A child of Wm. Mankamyer of
Wittemberg, died on Friday night,
aged 2 years and was buried on Sun-
day morning at 10:00 o’clock at the
Temple church. Rev. L. B. Ritten-
house officiated
The child of Hiram Baker, died on
Sunday night, aged 10 months, and
was buried in the Greenville ceme-
tery on Tuesday at 10:00 a. m.
eee eee.
A very pleasant/Surprise party, was
given Mrs. M. Carey, at her home
on Meyers avenue, Wednesday even-
ing by a few of her friends, in honor
of her birihday. The evening was
spent in playing euchre, and a delic-
ious lunch was served.
A number of young folks held a
basket picnic at Riverside Park, Fri-
day of last week in honor of Misses
Jennie Spence, who was spending her
vacation here, and Mary Swank, of
Somerset. :
Miss Irene Blume, entertained a
number of her young friends, one
evening last week, in honor of her
friend, Miss Jennie Spence, who was
here from Washington, D. OC. The
evening was very pleasantly spent in
playing 500, after which a well
appointed luncheon was served.
Miss Melda Maust, the nine-year-
old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward
B. Maust of Elk Lick township, was
taken Ill at the home of her grand- holding their annual picnic at Riyer-
parents, Mr. and Mrs. Hugh W. Deni- | side Park, today.
son, on the North Side, in Somerset, |
. | and after a physician had been called |
| it was decided to send the child to |
| Cumberland to be operated on for |
ss Verda and Marion, had been
A crowd of young folks erjoyed
a very pleasant, moonlight hayride,
Mark Smith, of Salisbury, was a
town visitor Wednesday.
Mrs. George Werner, is spending
the week with relatives at Somerset.
Mrs. M. McKenzie, of Salisbury,
was a Sunday visitor here with
Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Haley, spent a
few days of this week with relatives
at Duquesne, Pa.
Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Ross, and
two children left Saturday for Berk-
lay Springs, W. Va.
Miss Eliza E. Smith, of Sand Patch,
called at The Commercial today and
renewed her subscription.
Mrs. H. S. McClintock, of Phillips-
burg, is the guest of Mr. and Mrs.
H. H. Williams, of Main street.
Mrs. Charles Walters, of Connells-
ville, arriyed here Wednesday eyen-
ing to visit relatives and friends.
Miss Edna Smith, of Salisbury,
spent a few hours in town Sunday,
while on her way to Lonaconing, Md.
John Leibau, of Olinger street, who
had been suffering with a severe
attack of quinsy for some time, is able
to be around again.
Dr. and Mrs. Cyrus Truxal, of Phil-
adelphia, who were recently married
are guests at the home of the form-
er’s parents, Dr. and Mrs. A. E.
Truxal, of Centre street.
W. W. Staub, and son Harold, of
Pittsburgh, arrived here Tuesday.
Mr. Staub left the same day for the
east, while Harold will spend the re-
mainder of the week here with rel-
Miss Elizabeth Tressler, who had
been c.erking in the Charles Damico
fruit store for sorae time, resigned her
position there and accepted ome at
the Shipley Hardware store. Miss
* —
Two men were injured and traffic on
the 8S. & C. Branch was crippled all
Sunday afternoon and night by the
wrecking of a Connellsville freight
train at 1:40 o’clock at Stewart. The
Connellsville and P.R.R. wreck crews
.worked all afternoon and night.
The two men hurt were Sylvester
Holsopple, brakeman, from Holsopple,,
who sustained a painful injury to his
nose and lower lip, and Henry Miller,
flagman, of Connellsville, whose right:
eye was painfully injured.
A peculiarincident of the wreck was
the manner in which the coke cars
were piled up. Nine cars in the mid-
dle of the train left the rails on a curve
in a cut. The cut prevented them from
being thrown far from the side of the
tracks and they piled up in a zigzag
fashion, like a rail fence. A couple of
them overturned, making necessary
the shoveling of many tons of coke
out of the out. Each car contained
about 50 tons of coke, but most of them
did not overturn and the big cranes
lifted the cars and coke to one side
without much trouble.
Holsopple and Miller, the two men
injured, were riding in the caboose
and were thrown violently forward by
the impact. Holsopple was the middle
brakeman and Miller the flagman,the
remainder of the crew were R. H.
Durnell, of Connellsville,engineer;W.
F. Koleta, of Connellsville, fireman;
Samuel McFerren, of Connellsville,
conductor; and David Stephens, of
Connellsville front brakeman.
‘“That was the slowest run I ever
made down the branch,”’” remarked
Engineer Durnell following the wreck
“I had plenty of time to get to Johns-
town before the passenger train’‘came
Elizabeth Schardt, has filled the va-
cancy at the fruit store.
Mr. and Mrs. Wm. McKillop, a-d |
two children who had heen ,isiting
at the home of Mrs. McKillop’s pa-
rents, Mr. and Mrs. U. M. Housel, |
left Thursday last for Gettysburg,
and Washington, D. C., to spend a
wees before returning to their home
at Fairmont, W. Va.
Miss Sara Smith, of Pittsburgh,
who had been spending several
weeks here with her brother-in-law
and sister, Burgess and Mrs. J. F.
Reich, of Broadway, and with her
parents, Mr. and Mrs. Mark Smith,
at Salisbury, left for the above
named place, where she has accepted
a position in the millinery depart-
ment of Boggs & Buhl’s store.
Mrs. C. H. Dia, and daughter Miss
Caroline, returned home Sunday
morning from a trip through the west.
They visited the former’s son, Harry
and family at Edgar, Neb., and
relatives and friends at Omeha, Neb.,
Colorado Springs, Col., Kansas City,
and Cincinnati, Ohio. They were
accompanied home by their relatives,
Miss Irene Appel, and little brother
Harry of Cincinnati, who will spend
a month here.
under the auspices of the Somerset
board of trade, is a program of athle-
tic events for the boys and girls which
will be carried out under the direc-
tion of Superintendent Jones of the
The main attraction up town will
be the farmers’ automobile parade,
in which it is estimated more than 150
cars will participate. The parade
will start to the grove at 9 a. m. The
baseball game between the farmers
and the merchants promises to ob-
secure all other events of the day in
holding the attention of the crowd.
Betting on the game stands about
four or five to one in favor of the
farmers, whose team, it is reported,
has been diligently practicing for
several weeks already, while the
merchants are apparently ‘‘asleep at
the switech.”’
All farmers will be admitted to the
entertainment free including the
Chautauqua until 1 p. m.
leaving here Tuesday evening and
drove to the home of Mr. and Mrs.
| John Wilhelm, near. Berkley, where
| they were royally entertained.
| The Lutheran Sunday school are
grove of Frank Murray.
Constable H. E. Bittner Thursday |
|'arrested Foulian Dominick, of Coal |
| Run, for stabbing Rosia Rizzie on Sun-
| day. Rizzie has an ugly gash on the
| left side of his neck which came very |
| near to the jugular vein. ‘Justice of |
up and I was not in a hurry. At
| Stewart we were traveling’ about 15
niles an hour. I don’t know what
caused the wreck. The coke onsome
of the cars might have shifted to one
side and made the cars so top heavy
that they rolled over_when the curve
was struck.
‘I had to laugh at twohoboes. They
were riding one of two cars that broke
loose but did not leave the rails. They
were white as a sheet when I wert
back aud one of them said, By golly,
you did that just aboutright.’ ”’
After the wreck at Stewart, Engin
eer Durnell was given another jscare
north of the tunnel. He was bringing
the remainder of the train into Johns-
town and noticed two girls, arm in
arm, walking in the middle of the
track. He sounded the wistle,but the
girls never looked around. He tied
the wistle down and still they,paid no
attention. When the train was only
20 feet away, a an coming toward
them yelled, and the girls jumped,ore
on either side of the track, the engine
almost brushing their dresses. ‘If it
hadn’t been for that man,’’said Engin-
eer Durnell, ‘‘those girls whold have
been chewed up.’’
Among the touring pilgrims to
Among the features arranged for | Gettysburg who stopped off at Somer=
Farmers’ Day at the Chautauqua, 4 on the return trip from Gettys-
| burg and other eastern points were
Mr. and Mrs. N. S. Snyder, of Pitts~
burgh, and John A. Lambing, of Wilk-
| Snyder was a former resident
I! Mr.
| of Somerset county, having opened
| the first store in Ursina in 1869, when
| the excavation of Brook tunnel on the
Connellsville division of the Baltimore
| & Ohio railroad was in progress. The
| efficient and affable clerk in the store
was Hugh W. Denison, and it was on
account of Mr. Snyder’s purpose to
| once more see his nineteenth century
| Clerk that the step at Somerset was
Landlord Hentz of the Hotel Bel-
mont, who is something of an}arche-
ologist, discovered and produced the
veteran clerk, and there ensued a
picturesque meeting between the first
Ursina merchant’and his once agile
counter jumper. There was an auto-
peg fishing trip in the afternoon to
the Laurel Hill club house near Bak-
ersville and Mr.Snyder’s party remain-
ed in Somerset over night before re-
suming their way to Pittsburgh.
Subsequent .to his mercantile oper=s
ations at Ursina Mr. Snyder" became
a detective in Pittsburgh. During
the year 1882 he came to Somerset
and rounded up the notorious Wech-
| the Peace William H. Hay, before | tenheiser gang of outlaw who terror
family with two other children, the |ed for two Sundays. while the grove | tember term of Criminal Court. In
ices are in progress at Wittemburg | default of bail he was committed to {and n
| jail.
The regular preaching services in| whom the hearing was held, bound ized Somerset county’s citizens by
The Maust | the Evangelical church will be omitt- | Dominick over for trial at the Sep- | their bold depredations. Later he be-
ed in the oil Business
rols large interests in
| came
| West
BR gp