Newspaper Page Text
'Namur dub PlP:watt
DAVID MoKINNEY, . . e .
JAMES ALLISON, PR ' oPaurrose.,
PITTOBURGR, JANUARY 14,1860
1,111111111. m. SLAIN la adlraaeoll er la Club/
glom erg dellrored at realdeseem of Sabserl.
berg, 'SAO: Ise Preeysetas, sa fakir& raga
AL WI JIM ALS should be prompt; a 11tt1.4
walla bolero the year eaylreei that TIM Mai
'rake lull arrangements fora .toady supply.
711111 BRD WAAPPAIRi M 411.14410 that we
imam a renewal. Ir. however, Ix the haste
at Illaillagg this eignal should he onaitmel, we
liege ear Maeda will still met forget aim
11.14NLI'1IMIGNIG—Saad payment by este
amnia, whoa winvealues. Or, mead by umatio
sauteeing with ordisiary *aro, and troubling
aebeilly with a ir.nowladdre of what you art
VAMP rev a large amount, Mad a Draftier
large metes. Woreasertwe ropersomad Geld
sr eseall imam.
VO NAME OMAROMI, Nomad pawing* osasiO_lll
or bettor NAM, mood for moral poporal ma* 'lt
or llooluityassiboros or 111 for W . /Orr11•./kro . .
lounaboros . .
lIIIIIIOV all Lottoril mod Coliainualontloai
to DAVID KoKIIIIIIIIIr a DO•s PMl'S)larAlloo
THE ST. LOUIS PRESBYTERIAN, under
its new proprietors, is sent out enlarge&
This indicates both enterprise and encour
THZ UNION PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH,
BT. LOUIE, (N. 5..) seek a connexion with
the Old School Presbytery. They' invite
their pastor, Rev. J. j. Porter, to accompany
OAKLAND COLLEGE, Mum, has an eu•
dowment of 4194,000, competent to sup
port four Professors. Efforts are being
made to increase the endowment, till it may
be adequate to the sustaining of two Pro.
ONE THOUSAND.—The True Witness, of
New Orleans received a thousand NEW sub
scribers last year. It asks for another thou•
nand this year. The request is moderate,
considering its field. Many thousand fami
lies in the land are destitute of the religious
journal. Why Y Do those who are ap.
pointed to feed the flock, exert their full in.
PAPER.—We have been greatly en
couraged with the efforts made by some
pastors, and others, to increase the (Amnia
tion of the Banner and Advocate, and at
the success they have met with in securing
new subecribers. The beneficial effects will
soon be apparent among the members of the
congregations with which they are connect
ed. They have our hearty thanks. We
trust that many others will imitate their ex
ample. A little exertion on the part df our
readers, would still add - many hundreds to
our patrons. '
Varieties of Apples.
See in another column, the letter of Mr.
Shields; whose judgment in this matter is
entitled to great weight. At our request,
be will give our readers his opinion with re
spect to other kinds of fruit.
To make a good selection of fruits, and to
obtain them from a reliable nursery man, is
very important to every one who has ,a farm,
or even a few rods of ground.
The forty second Anniversary of the
Young Men's Bible Society, of Pittsburgh,
will be celebrated in the Third Presbyterian
church, on Monday evening, the 16th inst.
Addresses will be delivered by Rev. James
Preetley, D D., Bev. Dr. Burner, and Rev.
W. A. Davidson, A. M. Reports of the
year's doings will be read.
The sixth Anniversary of the Young
Men's Christian Association will take place
on the fourth Monday (23d) of thismonth.
Two or three addresses will be delivered by
distinguished speakers. The anniversary
will likely be held in Lafayette Hall.
The English Bible
This is the title of an excellent, sermon
preached by the Rev. F. T. Brown, pastor
of the Westminster Presbyterian church,
Cleveland, Ohio, on, last . Thanksgiving day.
In this discourse a succinct history of our
English Bible, the blessed results that have
flowed from its circulation and perusal, and
its claims to our respect, attention, and love,
u a Christian people, are given. The ser
mon is beautifully printed on excellent
The Domestic Cense . in the Beath-West.
The South• Western Advisory Committee
on Domestic Missions, have engaged earn
estly in their work, and are likely to be
amply sustained. The True. Witness of
of December 24th, says :
On last Sabbath" the First Presbyterian
church in this city, of which Rev. Dr.
Palmer is pastor, took uniis annual colleo
tion for Domestic Missions, which amounted
to about $4,300, which will probably be in
creased to $5,000 when all the members of
this congregation shall have given in their
contribution. We need not speak of this
noble and generous collection. The simple
fact speaks for itself.
On the same day, the Prytania Street
church, of which Rev. I. J. Henderson is
pastor, took up a collection for the same ob
ject, which amounted to near (and will
doubtless be when completed,) $lOOO. Thus
these two churches will give this year, for
Domestic. Missions about $6,000, nearly as
much as the five Synods of Memphis, Ar
kansas, Alabama, Mississippi, and Texas,
gave last year to the same cause, as reported
by the Board of. Missions.
We commence, on our fait page, the
publication of an article, to be concluded
next week, on ;he Support of Ministers.
It vindicate, the right, and shows ft to be
the duty of Presbyteries to inquire into and
to urge this matter. Presbyteries have been
here exceedingly deficient. This is owing
mainly to the delicacy of the members.
The ministers being personally interested,
hesitate; and the elders not being wont to
take the - lead in affairs, are silent. We are
more ready to excuse the former than the
latter. Modesty is , a virtue which is lovely,
even when she may interfere with bpth
rights and duties. Then do not 'con pel.
ministers to plead their own claims. Our
brethren, the elders, should do this for us.
They should feel theniselves charged, one
and all, in the congregation and in Preaby‘.
eery, to see that ministers are adequately
supported. Remuneration to them for la
bors, should-be regular and prompt. They
should . never be anbjeeted to the mortifies.
Lion of having to "utter a word relative to
their peOuniary *wants, beyond the dooriof
the &Mon room, and hardly there.
The •ludo-Syrian Church.*
During the persecution which prevailed
at the martyrdom of Stephen, the disciples
were so scattered frotr. Jerusalem that it .is
said, "they went everywhere, preaching
the Word." Tradition has it, that Thomas
went to India, and there founded a church.
•,This may be dottbMd; ; but certain it is, that
some minister of Christ want there at a very
early day, for in the second century there
came to the Christians of Alexandria a cry
for help, so urgent, and of each hopeful
promise, that • Pantaenns, the celebrated
founder of the Alexandrian School of
Theology, was induced to go and spend
several years of missionary labor in India.
A few centurieklater, we have the teed
many of Cosmas, in his Typograpitia Chris
tiana, that in Ceylon there was a Christian
Church, with ministers and believers; and
Christians also in Malabar. These were,
likely, Nestorian in their views. For some
centuries the Nektorians and Jacobites
spread• themselves with so much sums! , in
Asia that their numbers' rivaled those of
the Greek and Latin churches. Their chief
centres were Syria and Mesopotamia, but
they extended their circle to Central; and
even'to Eastern India; and they possessed
such vitality that, at the close' of the fif
teenth century, they were found, by the .
Portuguese Under the denomiriatien of
Syrian churches, in great numbers,• on .the
Malabar coast, and extending far into the
Vasco de G.ama, the Portuguese navigator,
doubled the Cape of Good Hepe, and opened
the'sea passage to India, in 1497. Five years
afterwards be 'made his second voyage, to
prepare the way for settlements and com
merce, and was astonished to find, in Mala
bar, a Christian people who hailed his arrival,
as a brother in the faith. These people
must then have been quite numerous, ae
they are said to have had fourteen hundred
churches, with civil powers ,and privileges;
the country being Hindoo and Dloharnmedan.
The region in which these people dwelt
is described as one of the richest and most
delightful in the'lndian peninsula: In the
interior the mountain peaks rise to the height
of eight thoniand feet. The country is
varied with hills, valleys, and streams,
clothed with perpetual verdure, and highly
productive. Dr. Buchanan, who, visited
them in 1806, says : "-The'fi4t view of the
Christian churches in the sequestered regions
of Hindoostan, connected with the idea of
their tranquil duration for so many ages,
cannot fail to excite pleasing emotions."
He then , describes the edifices as being
large, substantial, and imposing -in 'their
aroWtecture, furnished with bells,• and
l aving inscriptions in Syria:: and Malay
Romish zeal, on the settlement of the
Portuguese, speedily set about the *louver
sion of these people-, and is their 'records,
reaching back to a great antiquity, would,
if, preserved, be fatal to many of the pre
tentious of the Papacy, everything whieh
could he found was destroyed with ruthless
barbarity. Happily, however, the redanta
tion of the so-called heresies of these peo
ple who were, to some extent, converted . to
Rornanism, were preserved, and from these
their sentiments can be learned. The
Review presents them as follows
What then was the faith of the Syrian churches
in India ? From the unwilling" admissions of
their Hanish enemies, it appears that they bad
always:maintained those three fundamental doc
trines of orthodox Christianity, via :-1. Of the
Trinity, as defined in the Athanasian creed, with
out the damnatory clauses. 2. Of the necessity
of regeneration by the Holy Spirit. 8. Of sal..
vation by faith alone in the atoning sacrifice of
Christ for the sins of men. Such is the substance
of the creed of the ancient Malabar Church ; but
her position will be better understood, and her
affinity with the true Catholic Church of all ages
will be more distinctly discerned, when we con
sider the dogmas and usages Which she reacted.
L She did not recognize the Pollee' supremacy.
On the contrary, so somas those Christians came
to know.the Roman Church, they abhorred her as .
Anti Christian, and utterly rejected the claims of
the Pope to universal jurisdiction.' Until a Por
tuguese landed theyhadtiever even iteard.of such
a personage; and when they did learn that he ,
assumed to be the vicar of god and
. head of the
Church oo earth, they at once declared that he
must be Anti. Christ.
2. She maintained that the Church ; of Bomehad
corrupted the true faith, by making the Word'of God
of none effect, and by iMposing many human in
ventions upon the consciences of men. The Mal
abar Christians stoutly, resisted every Romialt
novelty, sir long as they had any freedom to think
and sot for themselies.
8. "Bhe denied the dogma of trathrusstantiation.
The books of the Syrian Christians, says Genres,
the Portuguese historian, " contained enormous
errors against this holy sacrament." These
" enormous errors " consisted in their maintain
ing the spiritual presence of Christ's body and
blood in the euoharist, and thus:rejecting the no
tion of an actual presence as in absurd figment.
4. She condemned the adoration of images as
idolatry. Except the figure of a cross, not an
image was to be found in any of the Syrian
churches prior to the arrival of De.Gams.
5. She knew nothing of the intercession, of
saints. She held.tbst the souls of departed saints
are in a state oChippitiess, but will not appear
in the presence of God until after "the resurrec
tion. Goitres, of course, pronounces this "an
enormous error," striking, as it does, at the root
of a dogma, which has brought millions of money
into the treasury of Rome.
6. She had'never so much as heard of purgato
ry, and could not comprehend what the Popish
priests meant, when they talked about it.
7. She of, course, know an little , ol: litmus and
the dead, "', "
8. She had no knowledge of extreme unction.
9. She had never heard of auricular confession;
and when the thing was first proposed to her
members, they shrank from it with, the utmost
horror, as they well might.
10. Her cargy married as freely as laymen ; and
the wives of< the former were held in such honor,
that they took precedence of all other women on
all occasions, and in all places.
11. She recognized only two sacraments, viz.,
baptism and the Lord's Supper.
12. In baptism there was no holy oil used, but
water only. After the service, however, the in
fant's body, was rubbed with cocoa-nut'oil, or with
a species of saffron ; the service, which was
deemed sontenhat sacred, : being followed
prayer or benediotion.
18. The bread in the Lord's Supper consisted of
cakes, with which a little oil and salt were mixed.
Renaudot, in his history of the. Patriarchate of
Alexandria (Collectio. Liturg. 486,) says that
this was the custom of the Syrian Jacobites, from
whom it may have been borrowed by the %do-
14. The elements of the Lord's Supper were
consecrated by prayer;. and all the communicants
partook of the bread and the cup.
15. The Indo-Syrian Church maintained and
practised Catholic communion, admitting toher fel
lowship all who " hold the Head," to whatever
" denomination," as we would say, they belonged.
Hence she at first welcomed the. Portuguese as
"brethren beloved," though she paid, dearly,in
the, end for her charity.
16. She knew nothing of the rite of confirmation,
nor of sponsors in baptism. • - •
17. She recognized only two orders tin the
try, xis., presbyters or prima, and deacons.
Such "werethe faith and the order of the Church
of Malabar viewed on their negative aide; and,
when we take into account the truths' she main
tained, as well as the errors She rejected, we are
warranted in, saying that she was one of the pur.,
eat brattches of the Church in median!, times. If
her, membership had been placed in circumstances
similar to those of the faithful mountaineers of
Piedmont, her history would, no douht, have been
as Mournful and as glorious as theirs. But per
secution unto death was one '
of the trials of faith
and love, to, which she dees not appear to have,
.*The January number of, the Theoloirical,and
Literary "Curried has an article on - this !subject,
fernitshed by 'Rev. T. Forsyth,' DD.,'which we'
Propose to use pretty freelyin tarnishing - -toi 014
readers' some; information al Christianity istuthei
'East. The article is too long to be transferral to
TITE PRESBYTERIAN BAN
been subjected, for some centuries prior to the
advent of the Portuguese.
There are still some remnants of these
people. Why they have not been exten
sively thelmbjects of missionary instruction,
does not satisfactorily appear. There has
been some attention paid to them, but
nothing like what we might suppose their
easel merited. A revival of the true Chris
tian life might be hoped for, and if attained
it would furnish a large _missionary, force in
*pi , • ir
a piece Where At, i s '. greatly .needed. The
thought, however, occurs, that a revivifica
tion of a decayed Church is a matter of
almoatipsuperable difficulty. Egypt, Sudea,
Syria, Asia Minor, &0., &a., were the seats
of flourishing churches ; and in some
places there are still remnants of Christian
peoples, and zealous efforts have been made
for their recovery, with but very partial
success. Even in the valleys of Piedmont,
where, by, ,the Waldenses, the truth has
been ever maintained, and where the people
are near to the influences of, the Reforms
iion, it is found extremely difficult to recall
that vigorous procreative Chriatian life,which
will multiply the people, and put forth an
aggressive influence upon surrounding clam.
The'Protestant Churches of Europe and
America may well study the history of
Christianity in Asia. It will not only
gratify a proper curiosity, but will be highly
instruetive and admonitory. It will cOnfirm l
us in the Apostolic faith. It will teach us
how defection creeps in and destroys. It
will alarm us by the thought that if we fall
aivay, there is not much likelihood of a
But those remnants of Churches are not
to be abandoned. They may possibly be
yet made to live, and may be life , to the
heathens and 'Mohammedans among , whom
they are dispersed. Christian , Missions
should be planted among theol, ' and sus
Dr. Swift's Fortieth ./i4zdversery
A • copy of this valuable discourse was
sent ,to each of the secular papers, but , none
to us, so that we were under no obligations
to notice it. But the great respect ii iadtni,
ration, and love we entertain for the vener
able author, `led us to pirchaie it, that we
might enjoy its perusal, and at the same
time, bring it before our readers. It is also,
dneto Dr. Swift's numerous friends and ad
mirers in all parte of the Cherish, that they
be made acquainted with this discourse
containing so much information of the past
and present, and breathing so much tender
ness, love, and piety.
It was delivered in the First Presbyterian
church, Allegheny, on Sabbath, November
6th, 1859, upon the occasion of - the fortieth,
anniversary of the author's labors in Pitts
burgh and Allegheny. What memories of
the past,what scenes of joy and sorrow, what
hallowed associations must have passed be
fore:the mind of the preacher on that day
as he gazed back,upim the way along which
the Lord had led him for so many years I
Our limits this week will only allow us to
state some of the changes that have taken
plice in Pittsburgh during that period, and
which are mentioned in' this discourse:
Pittsburgh, at that time, had only seven
thousand inhabitants, and the entire popula
tion of the city and surrounding villages
was only twelve Wantland, where there are
now not less than one hundred and thirty
thousand. What is now Allegheny City,
with forty , thousand people, had then only
thirty or forty houses Then there were
but three feebly supported weekly newspa
pers.' The Mercury was edited by Judge
Snowden, and the Gazette, by Mr. Scull,
who was succeeded by Neville B. Craig,
Esq. But two - of the one hundred and
thirty' members of the Pittsburgh bar,
were then engaged in the duties , of their
profession, the Hon. Judges Wilkins and
Shaler. Now there are one hundred and
twenty.five physieiansin these cities, then
there were eight, of whom, only two, PM
W. F. Irwin and J. P. Gazzam, sur
vive- , Of ~the regular pastors here forty
years ago, not one reliving at hin.post, and
but two are living, Rev. Dr. McElroy, of .
New York, and the venerible Dr. Herron,
of Pittsburgh. There is not in any of our
churches a single Ruling Elder that was in
office when . Dr. Swift ~game to Pittsburgh.
Of the eighty-nine members then composing
the Synod of Pittsburgh; but six remain on
earth, and but two iri the active duties of,
'the pastorate. Then, there were but eleven
churches, and some of them quite small,
within a radius of five miles; now, the
same space, there are one hundred and
Gladly Would we follow Di. Swift, in the
account given . of the origin !Ind Progress of
the Sec ond, church, Pittabuigli; the First
church, Allegheny; the Western. Foreign
'Mission:ll3 Beniety, from which our - present
Board of Foreign Missions sprang; the'
Western Theological Seminary, and in the
numerous references made to individuals,
but our want of space forbids. We trust,
however, thatenough has been said to lead
many of oar 'readers to purchase the din
coarse for themselves. It is for sale at John
S. Davison's, Wood Street.
The Presbyterian Expositor.
This journal has been _chauged from a
monthly to a weekly, l and takes .the usual
newspaper form. It comes , to us under date
of iJannary sth, Vol.'L;No. 1.
L Rice, D..D , Editor, Cyrus H. McCor
mick, Proprietor. Price, ,11-2 in advanee,
82.50 in six months, $l5, for ten copies.
Our North-Western brethren have long
been contemplating si paper to be published
at,, i phicago. 'We congratulate them on wit
naming the event, and especially in that
they have an Editor eminent for ability, and
a ProPrietor who will not permit the enter.
Oise to fail.
And here we would, put in a . word for
ourselves. Our many. subscribers in the
North• West have our thanks for their long
continued attachment, and we hope they
will not suddenly abandon us. They may
find us to be still the real conservatives ,of
Presbyterian doctrine.' The Expositor'hes
some five or six, columns op slavery; and
union saving. - • •
The multiplying of newspapers has this'
good effect, that it increases the number of
*dire; and if it shall cause some of the
patrons of older .papers to withdraw,. it
should stimulate thou who remain, to bring
their ? neighbors more fully:. to , sistiin;
home - efforts. `Oar' motto irk "Let every
family bave arnligiolus newore."
Theological and Liter jouxnal
The number for January terming the high
intellectual reputation of
, his work. We
need hardly say, that,to many of its ,exposi!,
tory views of Scripture, and especially of
the propheeies, we do not afall . asserkt. We
belong to a different school, in regard to the
coming of the Messiah.' But still. we can.
appreciate intellect and zeal. Many of the
expository remarks are instructive, and
there is a warfare, allays and ably waged
against infidelity and radical heresies.
The articles in the number before us, are
—I. Dr. Mansel's Limit% of Religious
Thought; 11. Notes on Scripture, Matthew
xxiii--xxiv.; 111. Christ's ' Promises, in
the Epistles to the Churches, to those who
are Victorious; IV. The Indo Syrian
Church; V. Designation and Exposition of
Isaiah, Chapters xlix , 1., and It, VI The
Book of Judges; VII. Mr. Hequembourg's
Plan of Creation.
An Editor Retires
Rev. W. L. Miller, of the North Caro.
lira Presbyterian, has retired from the ed
itorial chair. 'This lesies the paper, for the
present, solely. in the hands of :Rev. Oa.
McNeill. The North Carolina has been
conducted with muckibility 'and spirit, and
has had a very great success. Members of
the Synod, ministerial and laical, took earn
est hold of the work, as having a home in
terest therein, end areligions responsibility.
We trust they Will'work 'on, without weari
nese: The paper adds immensely to their
influence for good.
, - Boston and New England.
Th&Bostori Pubiiihers are just now very busily
engaged in bringing 'out ''& great variety of new
book& • -Messrs. Hiakling; Swan & Co., have - at
length issued Viortsester's New Unabridged Dia
tinier*, which has been so long expected, and
upon Whiki so much learning and care have
been beitowed. Its success may be considered
certain already, since It leaves the press with no
less than five thousand five hundred subscriber&
Our fkends, Messrs. Gould & Lincoln, to whom
the public are under 'so many obligation& and
wheel) names upon the title rage of &book are a
guarantee of its value, have just published, " The
Still Hour, or Communion with God," by Prof.
Phelps, of Andover.
The Rev. nomat Starr King, one. of the most
popular preachers iu the , ranks of the more
progreeeire Unitarians, and of -considerable celeb
rity as a lecturer and an author, !has resigned the
charge of the Hollis Street Unitarian church, to
accept a call to the Unitarian Society of Ban
Francisco, California. In that new region, Mr.
King will make his mark, but unfortunately his
influence will be sadly against the interests of
- The - .Boaran'2Vonscript says that the Item. A. D.
Spalter, of Wilkinsonville, whose difficulty with
Bishop 'Eastburn, on account of having invited
Congregational clergymen to occupy his pulpit,
was mentioned by us two weeks ago, has declared
his renunciation of, the ministry in the Episcopal
Church, and has been displaced by the Bishop,
according to Canon V. 1851). If Mr. Spalter
could not conscientiously remain in th'e Episcopal
Church, owing to what he considered its unscrip
turalrestrictions, he did right to leave it; but it
would not have been right for him to have .remain
ed. while openly violating its laws, to which he
had knowingly promised subjection.
,Breabyteriats Church of Boston, of
which the. Bev. &tr. Magill is pastor, has at
length secured a suitable' house or worship in a
most. favorable location, and upon most advan
tageous terms. The venerable Dr. Spring, of
New York, was expected to preach last Sabbath,
upon the oboasion of the congregation taking
possession of its new edifice. There is still room
for 'another Presbyterian Ohurch in this city,
more American in its character than the present
organization. Intelligent Congregationalists,
having the spiritual interests of the city at
heart, say that there is a considerable amount of
the Christian people here that will not'co operate
heartily with. Congregationalism; and that would
be active and efficient in the Presbyterian Church,
and that an organization to .meet the wants of ,
such would be hailed with delight by all Christian
people. They say that the present organization,
is doing a good wank, , but that it cannot do all
tne work that should be done by the Old School
Presbyterian Church in this important city.
Rev. Dr. Schaff, of Mercerablirg, Pa., is to
deliver the address , before the students of An
dover Theological Seminary, at the next anni
The Congregationalist sums up the foilawing
changes among the Congregationalist churches,
during the year 1859: one hundred and fifty
ordination's and installations; sixty-five '
'ideas from pastoral changes; twenty five ministers
died; and twenty two new churohes formed—
the last principally in the Western States.
Mayor Wood has been ; inducted into office, has
made his inaugural address, and entered upon his
duties. In his address he ' complains that the
chief magistrate has been stripped of most of the
powers that , belong to him, and that under the
present tiystCm, im efficient administration is
'scarcely possible. The Mayor is evidently anx
ious to have-the police-appointing power once
more in his own hands, and' he will leaie no
means untried to accomplish this object.
The Stock Market have been very'dull; Rail
road Securities are at a very great discount.
The Prpeure in the money market
. has b een
quite severe, exorbitant interest being demanded
on temporaryloans. A little relief is felt just
now; and the hope is entectuined, that in s short
time, the rates of interest will be moderate.
Th 4 Dry Goode Swine.. in opening finely. The
New Orleans and iiharieston merchants are now
in the market, and buyinevery. largely. Those
most competent to form .an opinion, express the
belief that the trade from the South will be heav
ier this year than ever before. This does not
look muck as if, lite doctrine of now intercourse,'
as expounded by politicians and fire-eaters, was
likely to be adopted to any great extent, by the
thrifty, sensible, and patriotiC portion of the peo
ple. And the trade with , the West will be much
better than that of either of the two preceding
years. So that; On the whole, the promise for the
Spring business is highly encouraging.
Mew& Minn 4 Company, of the Scientific
Amsrican, did a large patent business in 1859
Daring that year there were issued from the Pat
ent Office at Washington, fourteen thousand one
hundred and seventy. five Letters Patent; and of
this number, five thousand four hundred and forty
were granted to the clients of the Scientific American
Agency, or more ; than one-third of the whole.
This is no doubtful iudication of the confidence
reposed in them by inventors, and of their suc
cess. before the functionaries of the Patent Of
Meters. 11. Appleton t t Co., will issue during the
present month, "Bishop Boane's Memoirs and
Writings," third and fourth volumes of "Rawlin
son's Herodotne," second volume , of "Bookie's
History of Civilization : in England," a wew Yition
of" Shakapeare, by Mary Cowden Clark," and
Hadley's Greek Grammar." •
The vast importance of the American Bible So
cieti, and the great extent of the work committed
to its care, may be estimated from the following
count of one of the monthly meetings of its
The stated meeting of the Managers was 'held
at the Bible . 116ese' Astor Plaoso on Thursday,
the sthlinstant, - at half-past four P. M. Hon. Lu
ther Brandish in the _Chair, .assisted by Wm. B.
Crosby, Benj. L. Arrimii Francis Hill, and.Ptila
tian Es 4.
The death of Hon. MAL P. Dunlap, a/ Maine,
ER AND ADVOCA.TE.
one of the oldest Vice Presidents of the Society,
and also of General Sohn H. Cooke; of Virginia,
another of the aged Vice Presidents, was an
nounced. The Rev. S. H. Cox, DD., then read
the ninetieth Psalm, and offered prayer. Eighteen
new auxiliary Societies were recognized, of which
six are in Kansas, two in Nebraska, three in
lowa, two in Wisconsin, two in Tennessee, one in
Illinois, one in California, and one in Connecticut.
Communications were received from Rev. H.
Chamberlain, Brownsville, Texas, in regard to
embarrassments to Bible distribution in that re
gion, occasioned by the war now raging; from
Mr. Otis Patton, Superintendent of the Asylum
for the Blind at Arkadelphia, ArkartEßS, return
ing thanks for the grant of Bibles for the Blind,
and stating their happy effect ; from Rev. Dr
Rule, Aldershott, England, commending to the
notice of the Board Dr. Hereros De Mora, who is
now in this city ; from Rev. Isaac G. Bliss, dated
Sliumia, Bulgaria, giving an account of his visit
to that country, and also an encouraging view of
the prospect of Bible circulation there; from.
Rev. David Trombull, Valparaiso, in- regard -to
the work in South Amalie& ; from Rev. Dr. On
lick, Ascension Island, P. 0 , asking a grant of
Bibles in various languages for the supply of sail
ors touching at the island, and in regard to the
progress in translating the Scriptures into the
language of the people there. Grants of books
were made for the mission at Madura, Hindoe
tan, for the mission at Arcot: books in Portu
guese, Fieneh, German, Swedish, Welsh, Danish,
for distribution at Ascension Island
among sailers and others ; books in :various len
guages to J. S. Pierson, Esq., for distribution
and sale by captains of vessels sailing to foreign
ports ; books for distribution in Mexico by the
Society's new agent in that - country; - several
smaller grants, and eleven volumes in raised let
tens, for the Blind. It was encouraging that the
first meeting of the new year was very large, in
The Rev. Dr. Henry Marlyn Scudder's lectures
upon India where he was a missionary for a
quarter of a century, and whither he expects to
return in a short time, have been listened to with
the greatest attention, in several of our -large
cities. His conparision of the Pantheism of In
dia with the trauecendentalism of Boston, is most
striking and effective, showing conclusively that
the latter is essentially identical with the former.
These lectures are now being , repeated to immense
audiences in the Cooper Institute, and the Plym
outh Church, Brooklyn, on alternate'evenings.
Dr. Scudder is possessed of a clear, vigorous, and
discriminating intellect, a warm heart, and an
The Annual Renting of Pews, in Rev. Henry .
Ward Beecher's church, (Plymouth,) Brook
lyn, took place last week. The highest
pew was rented by Mr.' Henry C. Bowen, prin
cipal proprietor, if not sole owner, of the
Independent, for $280,00 for the ensuing year.
The premiums amounted to $16,711.60, while
the assessed •slue was $12,060. Thus, the
whole number of pews was rented for the year
for the snug sum of $29,429.50. What do our
rich farmers, who only pay $5, or at most, $lO a
year, pew rent, think of this ? But, at the same
time, we are afraid that the poOr can find no
place in such ah establishment as this.
The Contract for the erection of a new convent,
in BrooklYn, to be under the direction of the
Sisters of Mercy, has been made. The building
will be in the Romanesque style of architecture,
one hundred and thirty feet long, five stories
high, and essouble of accommodating two thou
sand school children. The efforts of Rome are
untiring; the liberality of her devotees is con
stant ; and her schemes are projected on a grand
scale. May Protedtants arouse themselves to the
work given them to do, and put forth the mighty
efforts necessary to' counteract
,the designs of
both Romanists and Infidels.
The Rev. W. P. Alexander, of the Sandwich
Islands; is now in New York, soliciting funds in
aid of Oahu College, on one of those Islands.
The group was discovered by Capt. ,Cook, eighty
years ago. At that time, the inhabitants were
Sunk in the lowest depths of barbarism, and all
the vices common in civilized nations were also
speedily introduced by ungodly seamen and
wicked adventurers.. Not until 1820, did the
beams of the Sun of Righteousness reach them;
and now they have Christian chches, Christian
schools, and Christian customs. Two years ego,
President Beckwith and Mr., Armstrong visited
this country with the same Object in view, but
the financial disastere that then swept over the
country; prevented success. The American Board
has subscribed $5,000 of the $50,000 required
for this object.
The Churches of . Rev. Dri. Smith., of the New
School Presbyterian. Church, Potts, of the Old
School Presbyterian Church, and Tyng,, of the
Episcopal Church, have each a Mission Sabbath
School, numbering from four hundred to six
But few are aw are of the rapid Expansion of
this City. So much is written and said of New
York, that staid and quiet Philadelphia is
too, often , forgotten. From the North Americdn
we learn that no less than 2,104 permits
were issued for the erection of new build.
ings within the city, during 1859; and that
these were mostly of a substantial character, is
evident from•the fact that unless than one thou
sand and ninety•two of the permits , were for ,
three storied houses; one hundred and wineteen.
for stores, market houses, factories, ehurohes„
&c.; and nineteen for four storied dwellings,
making in all, one thousand two hundred and
twenty-four superior edifices: Supposing five
pers6na to be represented by each one of these
buildings, an addition of ten thousand five lun
dred and twenty five to the popidation is indica
ted. In the city there are eighty thousand build
fags of every description ; of these, sixty thou
sand are dwelling houses. The number of fam
ilia is one hundred and thirty 'thousand, or an
average of more than two for every dwelling.
The Bible Times, a small , weekly issued. by the
Rev. T. H. Stockton, has ceased for want of suf
A. point of Great Historical Istereat is near
Chestnut 'Street, between Third and 'Fourth
Streets, on the West side of Carpenters' Court.
Here is the hall where the Continental Congress
held its first meeting. kor many years it was
occupied as an auction mart, but it has been re..
neatly put into complete order by the Carpenters'
Company, and will be hereafter preserved With
The Apprentices' Library now contains sixteen
thousand two hundred and twenty.six volumes,
judiciously selected, carefully- kept, and steadily
John N. Neumann, D. D , Roman Catholic
Bishop of Philadelphia,' died on the evening of
the sth inst. Bishop Neumann was born In Bo
hemia in 1811; came to . America in 1834; was
ordained priest in New York by Bishop Dubobi,
in 1836; officiated as a missionary in Western
Nei York for several years ; was located at dif
ferent times in Baltimore and •Pittsburgh ; and
was consecrated Bishop of Philadelphia on the
28th of March, 1852. He was a man of wonder
ful memory, and great capacity as a linguist.
He spoke all the dialects of the Austrian Empire,
and the various tongues of modern Europe. On
last. Sabbath his death was noticed in all the
Catholic churches, and the bell of St. 'John's
church toled a monotone during the day. The
funeral services at this church were among the
most imposing of which the Romish service is
capable. At 9 o'clock . mass was performed for
the repose of the soul of the bishop, and Immo •
diately afterirards a sermon was preached by
bishop Kendrick of Baltimore. •
The Weetern Presbyterian Church (New Behool,)
makes an annual appropriation of $2OO for the
support of one of its members who is engaged in
a course of preparation for the Gospel ministry.
A short time ago the pastor stated to the congre
gation that another of their members had devoted
himself to the ministry, and asked an appropria
tion of $2OO forhis benefit, and the request was
cordially granted. '
The Bec. Dr. Nathaniel West, forierly of Pitts
burgh, but now pastor . of the Belmont Avenue,
church, has issued a pamphlet of thirty-eight
pages, dedicated to the Legialature of Pennsyl-
vania in special, and to all the Chriatian - people
of the United States in.general, entitled,." The
Day which the Lord bath Atade, and - , How Are
Made If." The gritturd ttken it, that the Chris
tian's Lord's Day" is substituted ht place of
the Jewish Sabbath; that the Sabbath as origi
nally instituted, remains in ftill force to.this day,
but was transferred from the seventh to the first
day of the week, in consequence•of Chriefobaving
completed his work of redemption on that day,
in his resurrection from the dead, and also in
fulfillment of prophecy.
Rev. EDWARD nit:FMCS, Mate of Mississippi,
has engaged to supply the Portland Ave.
DUE Church, Louisville, Kentucky, for the
Winter. His address , is Louisville, Ky.
Rev. NICHOLAS CHEVALIER has accepted a
call to supply the church of Gonzales )
Texas, recently• supplied by the Rev.
Matthew M. Featfers.
Rev. A. PROuraTr, of Saratoga Springs, N.
Y., - has received a unanimous gall to the
• Third Church, Troy, N. Y.
Rev. C. S. ROBINSON, of Troy, N. Y.. has
declined the call given him by the second
church in Brooklyn.
Rev. R. G. BRAN', of Lexington, Ky., has
received, a call from the Seventh church,
Cineinnati, made vacant by the removal
. of Dr. Scott to Chicago.
Rev. G. W. COONS, in consequence of con
tinned feeble health, Ino again been
forced to resign the charge of the church
in Augusta, Ky. His Post Office address
is Maysville, Sy.
Rev. J. H. NIXON has been compelled by
the failure of his health, to noir a dismis
slot. from his church in Cambridge,yiash
ington County, N. Y. He will seek a
mere Southern clime.
Rev. A. D. METOALFE has removed from
Macon, Tenn., to Greenville, Ky.
Rev. W. W. MORRISON'S Post Office ad-
dress is changed from Lowodesboro',
Ala., to Browneville, Talladega Co., Ala.
Rev. J. SIMPBON FRIERSON'S Ppet Office
address is changed from Efarapshire
Tenn., to Ashwood, Maury Co., Tenn.
Rev: W. W. 8/CKELS, who has been supply
ing the churches of Knightstown, and
Greenfield, Ind., has been called to tare
exclusive charge of
Tux largest library in the world is that of the
British Museum, and contains forty miles of
shelves.' The Imperial Library of St. Peters
burg stands next in size, and contains about
580,000 volumes. The Imperial Library of
Vienna probably contains somewhat under 400,-
000 volume's, including MBB. The Royal Library
of Berlin about halt a million ; Munich somewhat
fewer ; Copenhagen about 400,000 ; Breslau,
850,000; Dresden, ;300,000; the University Li
brary at Gottingen,:B6o,ooo. The famous Library
of the Vatican is less remarkable for the number
of its volumes than for the value of its MSS., and
the inaccessibility of its treasures. The number
of printed books is variously estimated at be
tween 800,000 and 500,000.. The former, how
ever is considered nearer the truth. The value
of the manuscript collection, believed to number
about 25,000, cannot be: over-estimated. The
-kept in closed cases; and there is no
catklogne—two great causes of the mystery
which surround the collection. The principal
gallery of Vie library is about , a thousand feet in
COL. FREMONT'S famous Mariposa grant is set
down in the tax list as containing 47,870 acres,
valued at $200,000; improvements,` $8,000; per
sonal property, $2,800. The. total annual taxa
tion on these valuations amounts to $4,457.80.
It is nasonable to say that the Colonel's receipts
for gold will, in the ensuing year, be more than
equal to the entire assessed value of the rancho
Ma. THACKNItAT ie to receive from the pro
prietors of the Catskill Magazine, £6,000 for two
tales, which are to appear in its sages during the
course of the next two years,. and £2,000 a year
Tax total; production of gold in California and
Australia np to this date, has been about $900,-
Tux total number of tons of coal shipped
during the season from the mines in Allegheny
County, Md., were 498,919, of which 6,487 tons
were shipped last week.
STATIOTIOB , or 1869.—The number of railroad
accidents in the United States in 1859, by which
life was lost, 79; killed, 129 ; wounded, 41.1.
This does not include accidents caused by the
carelessness of travelers themselves. In 1858,
there were 82 such accidents, 119 lives lost, and
The number of eteamboat accidents during the
year 1869, was 21 ; persons killed, 242; wounded,
146. This le a decrease from those of the pre-
During the past year, 26 persons died in the
United. States over 100 years of age.
Oaezion Tam KILLED.—The New Orleans
Picayune expresses the apprehension that the
orange trees in that city and vicinity, which for
two or three years have been prolific bearers of
fruit, have seriously suffered from the late freeze.
All the orange trees in that vicinity Were de
stroyFd by the fro et about ten years ago.
ONLY thirty-seven out of one hundred and
sixty-nine members of the South Carnlina Legis
lature have been willing to unite in a recommend.
atipn that that State be represented in the
Democratic National Convention at Charleston,.
next April. There is much feeling in the State
against any representation in any partisan Con
vention. As there is no Democratic party
organization in South Carolina, these thirty-seven
members of the Legislature unite in calling
Conventions to select the delegates.
For the Presbyterian Banner and Advocate.
BROFIFTB FOR DECEMBER, 1859.
" Hanna Fund," Centre Unity (mug., Sten
benville Presbytery, $30.00
Fairview.Wasbington P'by, 27.42
Glade Run, Saltsburg - P'by, 7.00
Concord, do do 5.00
Laurel, Hill, Redstone P'by, 15.00
Two Ridges; Steubenville P'by. 24.00
Cross Creek, do do 7 75
Duncan's Falls, do do 2.00
T. H. Nevin, 11iseeiving Agent.
For the Presbyterian Banner and Aditstate
TOWARD THE ENDOWMENT Or FOURTH PROCESSOR.
SHIP IN THE WESTERN THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY
YOR RECEMBER, 1859.
Laurel Hill oong., Redstone P'by, $42.70
Tyrone, do do 6.70
Second oh. Steubenville P'by, 8.82
T. H. NEININ, Treasurer.
Tor the Presbyterian Banner and Advocate.
The Church and the Opera.
THE ITALIAN OHITECH AND THE ITALIAN
OPERA. IN PITTSBIINGH
14 Cooper's Opera. Troupe" were adver
tised for Sabbath evening, January Ist, at
the Roman patholic Cathedral I _An
Oratorio" was announced, but what Ora
torio, was not stated. It was reserved
for the Papal establishment here to introduce
the Opera to their sanctuary for the purpose
of raising money ! This is but the begin
ning. As the nest step, some other sort of
performance may be brought forward. And
at any rate, such low ideas of the Sabbath
and the sanctuary must do incaloulable rule.
chief. When the church doors are thrown
open to give a kind of sacred character to
the Opera troupes that stroll through did,
country, it would seem to be the duty of
the Mayor to interpose his authority to pre.
serve the sacredness of the day. The end,
they would say, sanctifies the means. That
is, rnoney-ntaking sanctifies the Opera !
jar the Preabyterlen Banner and Advocate.
The 'lsraelites of Pittsburgh hereby tender their
heartfelt thanks to the Sixth Presbyterian church,
of .Pittsburgh, for 7 their contribution in behalf of
the deatitute and suffering lerttelites,,frout their
cruel perseoution.akblorocoofnow at clibiralt4.'
MitY the - tiod of Jacob bless !the ' bontriblitorti.
Jo spg 1111.01a1A2481174, Treasuter.
Nor the Illebynnian Balmer and Adiroaata.
Report of J. D.:Williams,
TREASURER OF THE EVADE! OT DOMESTIC MlS
moms, EDUCATION, PUBLICATION, AND FUND
NON SUPERANNUATED -.III2IISTENS AND mum
FAMILIES, FOB DECEMBER, 1869.
SYNOD OF PITTOBIIIIML—Redtione•Pby : West
Newton church, $20.00; Little, Redstone,
20.45 ; Sewickley. (Mrs. Bainett,) 5:00. Beats
burg P'by: Bethel, 9.00; Jacksonville; 6.00;
First church, Kittanning, a member, 50.00; Plum
Creek, 11.76. Blairsville .P'by : Beulah, 25.28 ;
Union, 15 35. Ohio P'by: Bethel, 86,00; Mingo,
18.82. Clarion P'by : Greenville, 8,24; New
'Brian or AinzorrENT.—Beaver P'by Newrort
church, 6.00. Allegheny P'by: Tarentum, addi
tional, 80 0• •
&MOD Or watiatisa , —Witshistytest Prby:
First church, Wheeling, 160.90; Mt. Prospect,
26 60. Steubenville ?by : Waynesburg, 7.00.
SYNOD OF 011/o.—.Wooster P'by: Chippewa
church, -10.00. Maripnrby : First ch., Marion,
10.60 ; Richland hi : Ontario, 8.00 ; Orange,
2.00; Mansfield, 26.00. Coshocton P'by: First
ch., Coshocton, 20.00.
MISOELLANMOVO. —Patterson Estate, per Rev.
G. Marshall. D.D., 8.38 ; Miee
,M A. Craig,
Massillon, Ohio, 870.
CLOTITINGL—Ladies of First church, Pitts
burgh, a boa, no valuation given ; ladies of First
church, Allegheny City, a box, $18100; ladies
of Central oh., Allegheny City, a boa, no valua
tion given; ladies of Cadiz, Ohio, a box, 54.00.
SYNOD OF Prrrattuacm.--Berktone Pby: First
church. McKeesport, in part to constitute Sam%
IL Stewart an Honorary Member, $32 00 ;"
George's Creek, 7.74: Salisbury P'by: Fink
ch., Kittanning. a member.. 50.00. Ohio P'by
Central ch., Pittsburgh, 18.00.
STBOD or Ammonans.—Eric P'by : Sturgeon
yille church, 6.00. Allegheny City P'by : Sharps
&Trion or Wassmao.— Washington P'by:
Wellsburg church, $B.OO. New Lisbon P'by:
Liverpool, 6.00. Steubenville P'by : Waynesburg,
7.00; Centre Unity, "Hanna Fund," 30.00.
SYNOD OF NOETNNEN INDIANA —Fort Wayne
P'by r Bluffton church, $4 00; Latumeter, 6.00 ;
Pleasant Ridge, 1.50.
SYNOD OF lows.:--Ehibuque P'by: Oiark and
Canton churches, $l.OO ; 'Scotch Grove, (Rev. J.
L. Wilson, 5 00,) 6.00.
Mmonm..taxons.—Patterson Estate, per Rev.
G. Marshall, D.D., $8 34.
SYNOD Or WHNBLLNG.—SteNbentiIIIF : Oak
ridge ohuroh $7 00. Si. Olcirswills Pb' Mt. '
Pleasant, Mrs. Isabella Alexander, additional, to
constitute self Honorary Member, 10.60.
SYNOD or OBIO.—ZanerVIT/e Donman's
Falls church, 4.00.
SYNOD Or Scant - maw INDILNL—Fort Wayna
P'by: Bluffton ch., 3.00; Lancaster. 2.76.
SYNOD or 1 - oWA.—Dubuque P'by : Canton •ch.,
Rotas Ann. Pension Rsacra.—Rev. Deorge,
Marshall, D. D., three '' years subscription, 'from
January, 1857,`t0 January, 1.860, $1:50 •
SYNOD OP WIENNIENG.—SebbenPille I"by : Elan. . .
ridge church, 4 00.
SYNOD OP NORTHNIUS INDIAiLL—Fort Wayne -
P'by; Bluffton church, 8.00; Lancaster, 2.76;
Pleasant Rbige, L 26.
TOTALB:--Domestic Missions, $516.88. , Mum
tion, $216.05; Publication, $23.60; Sttlieranntt
ated4terte Fund, $ll.OO. • •
J. D. WILLIAMS,' Rea: Agent,
114 Smithfield Street.
Pittrburgh, December 31, 1809.
For the Preahyterlan Banner and Advocate.
itoort of H. Childs ;
TRBASITRER OF TIM mpud.Bl) OF FOREIGN DUSSIOFIN
708 DBOEMBIR, 1859. •
SALTSBURG PRESBYTERY.Pine Run gong.,
$18.00; Indiana, 50.00. 68.00.,
ALLEGHENY P'BY.---Monnt Nebo c0ng.„5.110 ;
Female Missionary Society, Tarentam 12.50
Tarentnm, 7.50; Centre;ls;oo. 40.00.
WASHINGTON P'BY.—First church, Wheeling,
161.00 ; Ladies' Missionary Society, Wiehing
ton, to constitute Mrs. Maris Watson atufMrs.
Catharine Todd, Life Members, 60.00; Wash,.
ingtbn, monthly- collection, 19.15 ; Mrs. Ann
Eliza Morgan, First church, Wheeling, to 4011.,,
sritute: Miss Adeline D. Caldwell,, Life Member,
30 00; Ladies' Missionary &defy, Waildrig
ton, 21 00. 291.15. ' -
ERIE P'l3Y.—Oreenfield song., 6.00. •-' '-k`
STEUBENVILLE P'llY.—'j tisane Fond," Opte-1.::'
tre Unity °mg., 30.00. „
BLAIRSVILLE P'BY.—Male and Female Infant v f,
Glasses of Sabbath School of Greensburg
cong, 8 48.
BEAVER P'BY.—Little Beaver °orig., 28.00;'°
Clarksville, 1500. 88.00. -
ZANESVILLE P'llY.—Muskingum cong.,
MISCELLANEOUS.---One Box Clothing for. lowa,
Missions among the Indians, supposed to be,
• from Poland, Ohio ' no valuation ,• One Quilt.
from Female Missionary Society, Tarentuno;
oong , Allegheny P'by, for Indian Missions,
valued at 7.00; One Box Clothing fot. Bey. 8..
M. Irwin. Tora,, and Saellissions, from Cenize
•cong., Allegheny P'hy, valued at 55.71. 62.71.
December 31, 1859
For the Presbyterian Bannerazut Advocate.
Best Varieties of Apples.
MISI3RB. EDITORS :—ln compliance with - your
request, I send you a list of twenty"varieties 'of
apples, which in my judgment, and .that of an
experienced posnologist• friend, will be :found I
among the -best and:most, reliable kinds for the
,climate and soil of Western Pennsylvania:,
I have restricted the - list to twenty varieties;'
the five first 'are early, or 'Summer :apples; the
five next are Fall apples;' and -the 'last- ten;• •
Winter apples. • •
Early Harvest; Red, &Armen ; Sweet Bough;
SuMmer Peaimain ; SuMmei Queen. Maiden's
Blush ; Rambo ; Fall Pippin ; Graveristein
Rome Beauty. -Belmont, or Golden Gate; Swam;
Bellflower; American Golden Russet; Baldwin; 3
Rhode Island Greening;
...Ring of. 1 ", 0111 1 01 ,4 1 es
County; Peck's Pleasant ; North' Spy ;. Roman.
Doubtless some of your readers will miss the
name' of some favorite'ruit from the above fist;
but for, twenty :varieties to whichi haverestricted
my selection, these will give as much satisfaction
as any others, when we take into view produc
tiveness, hardiness, aid, ibuk fla*or-
For your next paper, Fwill furnish you with a
list of pears, Yours, truly,
Sewickley Nurser*, January 6, 1860:
The PRESBYTERY OF WINNEBAGO will 'meet et
bon Oity, Wis., on Thuraday, January 26th, 1860 at seven
o'clock PAIL B. se:ROBERT/30m, Stated Clerk.
The PRESBYTERY OW OOSHOOTON - odjournolloßlieet
at Bit. Eaton, on Thursday, January lath, I£o3o, at 11
o'clock A. M. wet; HUNT, Bitted'OlOrk.
The PRESBYTERY OF 01110 will meet in the Central
drunk Pittebuegh, on the Third Tueeday of January, at 2
o'clock P. M. W. B. BlenVALNit, Stated Clerk.
RAILS TO Thrmarows.—The Fayette County
Railroad was opened on the 2d inst., the cars
running on that day from Connelleville to Union
town. This i►ill be quite a convenience.
The City Debt.
Those interested in the financial conditioi of
Pittsburgh, will feel gratified to learn that' the
city debt has been reduced some $60,000 Within
the last two years.
The Pemberton Cotton Mills, at Lawrence,
Mass., fell on the evening of the .10th inst., and
buried about seven hundred of the laborers in the
rains. Great exertion were made to extricate .the
unfortunate, but, in a few hours, fire broke
out, and the ruins were consumed. Details
in full are not yet reoeived, but it is estimated
that two,hrindred lives are lost, and very many
persons are seriously wounded.
'Enters upon the new year with a - brilliant num
ber. Sketches' and reminiscences of the genial,
beloved, • and loving Irving, for so many years
one of its, contributors, occupy many of its pages,
But in addition to this, there are several articles
of more than ordinary excellence. Such are the
"Sketches of , the Scenery of the iltnison,." by
T. Addison Richarda; " The Battle of fort
Moultrie," by the Hon. George Bancroft ; and a
powerful - 2 article on the- "Physical Decline of
American Wocoen : 7 by Dr. A. K. Gardner. w. New
subscribers to the Banner and -Advocate may still
obtain one paper and.the Knickerbocker f0r58.26
irhere the subscriber. belongs to a club,- and , for
$8.60 where he does not.
H GEttLDI4 Treduntieß