The Free lance. (State College, Pa.) 1887-1904, December 01, 1889, Image 15
Ex-senator B. K. Bruce lectured in the col lege chapel on the evening of November 20. It was clue to the Free Lance management that the students and public in general were given the opportunity of listening to a strong and convincing argument on the Race Prob lem. Mr. Bruce thoroughly understood what he was talking about, and with his distinct enunciation and happy selection of words, with just enough plantation humor, his lect ure was a decided treat. An epidemic of Amateur Photography has struck the college. "Dad,” “Sal” and "Dink,” expect to terrorize the neighborhood this coming year. This will be a sad blow to the frequenters of Deer Park and Lover’s Lane, as they will always be in mortal fear of the photographic fiend pouncing upon them at any time, and thus possibly perpetuating a very interesting scene. ’Tis darkly whispered that amateur photography receives encouragement from interested authority. By the appearance of things about the col lege on the morning of November Ist, one would think that a cyclone or something very similar, had been let loose during the night. The campus was literally covered with corn fodder, some pigs were trotting demurely around with a very artistic covering of red and blue paint; the sign in front of Schaffer’s store had disappeared, and the fence belong ing to the head janitor, who had remained about the college to preserve order, appeared to be in a very demoralized condition. The Combination Company of P. S. C., after very successfully filling their engage ments in Bellefonte and elsewhere, gave an en tertainment in the college chapel on Friday evening, November 29th, for the benefit of the Athletic Association. It was well at tended and very favorably commented upon by all who were present. An unexpected pleasure was given the audience in the form of a violin solo by Mr. Frank Atherton, who THE FREE LANCE. had just returned home on a visit. The whole affair reflects great credit upon the few who have thus so generously contributed both time and toil as well as the proceeds to the aid of the Athletic Association. The following article is expected to appear in the Free Lance sometime during the year 1901 A. D. "Hurrah! Hurrah!” The ‘‘ Gym ”at last! The expert has been here and after assuring himself that the roof trus ses would bear the weight of the apparatus, a thing so long doubted, purchased and arranged it as one can now see it if he visits the armory. When the students learned that they had in reality a gymnasium, their joy was unbounded, some were speechless, some actually wept, some took off their hats and offered up a silent prayer, while the more thoughtful asked themselves the question: Why was this not long ago ? When the shades of night had settled over the land, a daring Sophomore band composed of “Halogens,” "Molly Maguires,” “Bump ers,” etc., procured a »tent flap, stationed themselves at the angle in the road leading from the village to the college, and waited for unsuspecting Freshmen, After several of the Freshmen had been caught and tossed, they collected themselves and a struggle en sued. The Freshmen tried to prevent their men from being tossed, while the Sophomores struggled to retain their tent flap. The fight lasted about ten minutes, Finally, the Sophs wrapped the flap about the trunk of a tree, and thus ended the battle. After which each class gave their yell, both claiming to have gained the victory. Malcolm W. Ford, in a recent article on college athletics, says that the growth of ath letics at Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Amherst, University of Pennsylvania, Swarth more and Williams has discouraged intemp erance and general immorality.