The Columbian. (Bloomsburg, Pa.) 1866-1910, October 22, 1908, Image 1

Below is the OCR text representation for this newspapers page. It is also available as plain text as well as XML.

    fj
y ill nl' S i If llf li iM.
MJ II WHIP I w ws
ro .4?.
nLOOMSBURG, PA., Til V RSI) A) OCIUIWRjj, 100S.
AO 42.
WHEN YOU WANT To
Jpcn a Bank Account Have a Chock Cashed
Borrow Money, or Make an Investment
CALL ON TIIIC ()!,!) RELIABLE
The Farmers National Bank
01- BLOOMSBURG.
Capital, 863.000 Surplus $100,000
; M. CKEVELING, Pres. M. MILLK1SEX. Casiiikr.
DIRECTORS
N. U. Fi:nk C. M. Crkvkuxo
C. W. Runvox Dr. J. J. Brown
J. L. MOYKR
V. L. Whitk
3 Per Cent. Interest Paid on Time Deposits.
ANNIVERSARIES.
The Reformed Church Will
Celebrate Its Centennial
Next Week.
AN INTERESTING PROGRAM.
Beginning on Sunday, October
25th and continuing through the
week uutil Sunday, November 1st,
the Reformed Church of Blooms
btirg will hold daily services in com
memoration of the one hundredth
anniversary of the founding of that
church in Bloomsburg, and of the
fiftieth anniversary of its establish
ment at its,preseut site, on the cor
ner of Third and Center streets.
The following program has been
arranged:
Sunday, October 25th, Holy
Communion. Sermon in the morn
ing, Rev. J. D. Thomas, Ph. D.
Sermon in the evening, Rev. W. J.
Kohlcr, Strawberry Ridge, Pa.
Monday, October 26th, 7:30 P.
M., Sermon, by Rev. Arthur Ohl,
James Creek, Pa.
Tuesday, October 27th, 7:30 P.
M., Sermon by Rev. A. Houtz,
Orangeville, Pa. '
Wednesday, October 28th, 7:30
P. M., Sermon by Rev. C. H.
Brandt, Wilkes-Ba:re, Pa.
Thursday, October 29th, P. M.,
Sermon by Rev. O. II. Strunk,
Schuylkill Haven, Pa.
Friday, October 30th, 7:30 P.
M., Seruiou by V." E. Krebs, D.
D. , Uttletown, Fa.. - .
Sunday, November tst, 10:30 A.
M., and 7 P. M., Sermon by Rev.
S. R. Bridenbaugh, D. D., Read
ing Pa.
Sunday School Rally Nov. 1st at
2:30 P. M.
Short addresses by neighboring
pastors.
As a souvenir of this important
event in the history of the church,
a handsome book has been publish
eeby the pastor, Rev. Dr. J. D.
Thomas. It contains nearly sixty
pages, and includes a brief sketch
of Bloomsburg, a history of the
Reformed Church in Bloomsburg,
and statistics of the church; a gen
eral history of the Reformed
Church in the United States, and
items of interest in the church.
It is profusely illustrated with
half tone cuts, among them being
portrait of Dr. Thomas, the
church, the parsonagh, the Court
House, Normal School, Science
Hall, Caldwell Cathedral, residen
ces of N. U. Funk and Mrs. M.
E. lint, S. C. Creasy, M. Milleisen,
and A. Z. Schoch.
Oue of the most interesting fea
tures of the book is the collection
f portraits of former pastors.
They include Rev. Daniel S. Tobias
who was in charge from 1829 to
85M Rev. Henry Funk, .1844 to
,!54; Rev. William Goodrich, 18
54 to 1866; Rev. L. C. Shipe, 1866
to 1867; Kev. F. J. Mohr, 1868 to
87i; Rev. T. F. Iloffmeir, 1872 to
1876; Rev. G. D. Gourley, 1876 to
'878; Rev. Walter E. Krebs, 1878
to 1880; Rev. O. H. Strunk, 1880
to 1884; Rev. S. R. Bridenbaugh,
'885 to 1886; Rev. J. S. Waguer,
'887 to 1888; Rev. W. T. Aumau,
1889 to 1892; Rev. C. II. Brandt,
,893to 1898; Rev. John D. Thom-
Ph. D. h8s been the pastor since
January 1st 1899.
There are also portraits of the
tlders, O. W. Cherringtoii, N. U.
ttnk, and Jacob Rhoads, and of
the Deacons, W. C. Masteller, D.
A. Leiby and II . I. teiby.
The books are for sale at 25 cents
each, and can be procured of the
pastor, or the officers, aud at Bidle
Wan' Book Store.
C. A. Ki.him
M. Miu.kisen
SATURDAY'S COURT.
At the session of court on Satur
day the following business was
transacted:
The bond of G. R. Campbell,
guardian of Homer C. Hutchinson,
minor child of Flora II. Zarr, de
ceased, wnsup-n petition approved.
In the case of Com. vs. James
Gibson, f. and b., the Court sen
tenced the defendant to pay the
costs of prosecution and a fine of
f37.ro for the use of the Overseers
of the Poor of Couyngham and
Centralia Poor District and stand
committed. The young man coin
plied with the order of the Court.
The reason for the small amount of
fine was the fact the child died
soon after its birth. 1
Upon petition presented by II.
Mont. Smith. ICsq. , R. R. Ikeler,
Trustee of the estate of Charles
Conner deceased, was given author
ity to satisfy certain mortgages aud
judgments.
I he report of the inspectors of
the county bridge over Raven Creek
near Stillwater, was presented and
confirmed nisi.
C. M. Creveling, guardian of
Margaret A. Garrison, a minor
child of Clinton B. Garrison, was
upon petition . presented granted
permission to make private sale of
the ward's interest in certain real
estate. Bond to be given in the
sum of $500 which is to be approv
ed by the Court before the sale is
made.
Wm. II. Brown, guardian of
Stella May Brown, was after peti
tion presented given authority to
pay $70 for medical attendance ren
dered the ward.
Returns to Orders of sale in the
estate of Joseph Ratti, deceased,
for the sale of the property on Fifth
street to R. J..Ruhl and the prop
erty on Sixth street .to Fred Beg
liuger, were confirmed nisi.
John G. Harman Esq., attorney
for the defendant in the equity pro
ceedings in the case of Susan Billksy
vs. Iidward Fertile preseuted a pe
tition requesting the Court to strike
out certain paragraphs from the
plaintiff's bill which it was alleged
were scandalous and impertinent.
The Court took the papers and will
render a decision later.
Upon petition presented Mrs.
Anna K. Riddle, administratrix,
of F. B. Riddle, deceased, was giv
en authority to execute a mortgage
in the sum of 1000 upon one of
the properties of the decedent for
the payment of debts.
BISHOP DUBBS HERE.
Bishop Dubbs, of the Evangeli
cal church, spent Sunday in town,
and took part in the Rally Day
fruires at thatchurch.
The services which consisted of
the regular services morning and
evening and one for men in the
afternoon were well attended, Bish
op Dubbs delivering an address up
on each occasion. The church was
beautifully decorated with flowers,
the service was excellent and every
body entered heartily into the spir
it of the occasion and enjoyed the
services. The giving was done
nnirklv mid cheerfully and but lit-
! tie time was consumed raising the
J desired amount, in iaci mey re
ceived more than they asked for.
The addresses of the Bishop who is
recognized as one of the leading
men of the church in the country
were in keeping with his reputation
and were helplul, instructive and
inspiring.
The debt of $300 ou the parson
age was wiped out, aud $150 was
raised tor repairs. Large congre
gations were present at all the ser
vices, uiorniug, afternoon, and ev
ening.
0e Q0foome6urg
Is directly identified with the Farming, Mercantile and Man
ufacturing interests of this community, and with its ample Capi
tal and .Surplus, Conservative Directorate, Progressive Manage
ment and convenient location, is equipped to Satisfactorily Han
dle New Accounts and to accord them that same courteous
attention which has been a vital
tinuous Growth.
3 Per Cent. Interest Allowed on Time Deposits.
Wm. II. IIidlay. Cashier. ,
NORMAL FACULTY NOTES.
We clip the following from the
October Quarterly, published by
the school:
"The opening of the new school
year found a number of familiar
faces missing in the Normal Facul
ty and a corresponding number of
new ones in evidence.
Miss Gertrude Slayman of Sha
mokin, a graduate of Millersville
Normal and Pratt Institute is in
charge of the Art Department. Miss
Slayman taught for several years in
the Mt. Carmel schools aud in the
N. Y. Institution for the Blind. In
the latter institution she taught
basketry and other nianml arts.
Miss Lotta A. Jones of Milford,
Mass., has charge of the work in
Reading and lilocution in the tem
porary absence of Miss Bryant.
Miss Jones is a graduate of the fa
mous limerson College of Oratory
in Boston, Mass., and her teaching
experience includes successful ser
vice at Brewster Academy, Wolfe
boro, N. H., the Murdock School,
Wichendon, Mass., and the Oneon
ta, N. Y. State Normal School.
A new gymnasium instructor,
Miss Edith A. Casho of Philadel
phia, comes to us from the Dickin
son Seminary at Williamsport. She
is a graduate of the Phila. Normal
School of Physical Training.
Miss Myrtle Swartz of Ilallstead,
well known as a former teacher, re
turns after efficient seivice in the
Trenton, N. J. and Ilallstead
schools. She is a graduate of El
mira College.
Charles L. Albert, Normal 1903,
Lafayette College 1908, is now In
structor in History, vice W. L.
Chase resigned.
Miss K. Maude Smith, Grade
Teacher in the Model School, is
now principal of the Model School,
vice Miss Harris resigned.
Miss Clara Waldron is acting as
assistaut to her sister, Miss Lillian
Waldron, who has charge of the
Department of Music.
Miss Edith F. Perkins and Miss
Anna S. Van Wyck are the new
Grade teachers in the Model School.
Miss Perkins is a graduate of the
Delevan, N. Y. Teachers' Training
School aud of the Buffalo State
Normal School Classical Course,
and has taught in the schools of
New York state. Miss Van Wyck
is a graduate of the Kindergarten
and Primary and linglish courses
of the Oswego State Normal School.
Her teaching experience includes
service in the schools of Passaic,
N. J. and Millertou, N. Y.
Miss Ella Deighmiller and Mr. J.
Wesley Sitler are the new assistants
in the Biological Department.
Mr. Bruce Sueidman is Prof.
Goodwin's assistant in the Com
mercial Department."
.
TO PENITENTIARY.
Sheriff Ent went to Philadelphia
on Tuesday to place Karoly Takacs,
Mike Lavaraera, and T. M. Har
man in the penitentiary. Takacs
was sentenced for 20 years for mur
der in the second degree, Lavaraera
for six years for voluntary man
slaughter, and Harman for three
years for assault and battery with
intent to kill.
MONUMENT HERE.
The Soldiers' Monument has at
last arrived and the parts are on
the ground at the Square. A trac
tion engine was used to haul tt
from the Reading station. The
work of construction will now pro
ceed rapidly.
- .
School attendance is reported to
be better and more regular than for
some years, by Truant officer Deit
rick. '
(Haftonaf (f anft
factor in its Steadfast and Con
A. Z. Sciioch. President.
AN OLD SCHOOL CLOSED.
"A movement is ou foot to estab
lish a hospital at Towanda. Parties
have made an inspection of the Sus
quehanna Collegiate Institute build
ing, and think that, with a few al
terations, it could be transformtd
into an ideal hospital. The sur
roundings are excellent, it being
located in one of the healthiest sec
tions of healthy Towanda. Many
people have signified their willing
ness to give toward the establish
ing and support of such an institu
tion." The above is taken from an ex
change. The allusion to the Sus
quehanna Collegiate Institute re
calls to mind our boyhood days in
Towanda. It was our privilege to
be a student at that institution for
several years.
Back in the sixties and for many
years afterwards, it was among the
best of the good schools of the
state. The faculty included men
who were considered among the
leading educators of those days.
Among those who occupied the po
sition of Principal were the Rev.
Samuel Colt and Rev. John Mc
Williams, both of whom were prom
inent Presbyterian clergymen; Hon.
Charles R. Coburn, who was State
Superintendent of Public Schools
for four years, aud was one of the
fathers of our excellent public
school system; Rev. David Craft,
the venerable historian of Bradford
county, and who, we believe, is
the only one of those above men
tioned now living. The Dean
brothers, William and Oliver, were
joiut principals. They were mag
nificent specimens of manhood, each
being over six feet :all, and finely
proportioned.
Among the members of the fac
ulty whom we recall were Samuel
P. Fisler, aud Selden J. Coffin.
The former died a few years ago,
and Prof. Coffin, who subsequently
was Professor of Mathematics at
Lafayette College, and later the
Registrar, is still living in Easton.
The Collegiate Institute belonged
to a class of schools that succeeded
the old Academy system. It was
a boarding and day school, and was
better organized aud better equip
ped than the academies.
As many of this kind of institu
tions were established throughout
the state, they displaced the acade
my, aud the latter became a thing
of the past. The new schools,
however, were for the most part
unendowed, and in those days the
legislatures were not lavish in their
appropriation to educational pur
poses. The schools depended en
tirely upon their receipts from stu
dents, and so, when the public
school system was developed, and
good high schools were established,
the attendance naturally fell off and
the pay schools began to languish.
In the late sixties the state estab
lished the Normal Schools, and this
was the death knell of most of the
schools in the state like the Susque
hanna Collegiate Institute. Such
institutions as Wyoming and Dick
inson Seminaries have survived and
prospered, as well as some others,
but they are exceptions. The sur
vivors are for the most part sus
tained bv the patronage and en
dowments of influential religious
organizations.
The Susquehanna Collegiate In
stitute continued to exist uutil a
few years ago, as a day school only,
the boarding department haviug
been abandoned, uutil finally it
succumbed for want of patronage.
Its location is an ideal oue,1 over
lookiuff the town and the beautiful
vallev of the Susquehanna, aud if
the intention to convert it into a
hospital shall be consummated," it
will again prove a blessing to that
FALL SHOWINGS
IN ALL LINES OF
CLOTHING.
There arc some of
the Most Beautiful
styles and patterns
this season that we
have ever seen.
Conic in and look
over the models.
This store is full
of the season's styles
and you will be sur
prised how cheap you
can buy here.
H
CORNER.
community in caring for the sick,
as it was for so many years a great
power and a great blessing in pro
viding educational advantages to
the young, that in the days of its
prosperity were rarely surpassed.
. .
THE LOCAL CANDIDATES.
It is not only important that
every Democratic voter in the couu-
tv should tro to the polls and cast
his ballot on election day, because
there is a President ot the Uuited
States to be chosen, and a Con
gressman for this district, but also
because most of the county offices
are to be filled at this time.
There are to be elected a Pro
thonotary, Register aud Recorder,
District Attorney, Member of the
Legislature, Treasurer, Commis
sioner, Auditcrs, and Mine Inspec
tor. It must be confessed that a Demo
cratic nomination in this county is
no longer the absolute certainty
that it used to be when the party
gave a majority of 2000 and up
wards. For some cause the major
ities have dwindled in late years,
One of the.reasons is the apathy of
Democrats." If they would all take
the interest in public afi'airs that
every good American citizen should
manifest, aud would all go to the
polls on election day, there is no
reason why the majorities should
not reach the old time figure.
Let every man be ou baud ou
November 3rd, and vote the
straight Democratic ticket.
RACES ON SATURDAY.
Some of the horsemen of town
have decided to try the speed of
their respective animals, and have
arranged for races ou Saturday af
ternoon, uext, at 1:30 oclock at the
fair grouuds.
The entries for a hundred dollars
purse are A. C Hidlay's "College
Widow," W. A. Hartzell's "Bob
Nutwood," R. L- Runyon's "Sil
ent Partner," and' C. W. Rabb's
"Southall." There will also be a
race for $100 a side between D.
Donovan's "Black Alice" of Ben
ton and V. A. Hartzell's "Rags".
G. W. Keiter will give an exhibi
tion race.
Admission 25 cents. Grand stand
free.
LARGE REGISTRATION.
Indicates That a Big Vote Will be Polled on
November 3rd.
The registration lists recently re
turned by the assessors show near
ly 13,000 names of voters in the
county, which is several hundred
more than were cast for Governor
two years ago.
The number of voters registered
in each township and borough are
as follows:
Beaver 190, Benton Boro. 222,
Benton township 233, Berwick N.
E. 538, Berwick S. E. 342, Berwick
N. W. 385. Berwick S. W. 276,
West Berwick West No. 1 494,
Berwick West No. 2 321, Bloom 1st
366, Bloom and 458, Blcom 3rd
603, Bloom 4th 4S2, Briarcreek
East 331, Briarcreek South 78, Bri
arcreek West 100, Catawissa town
ship 149, Catawissa Boro. 575,
Centralia 1st 298, Ceutralia 2nd
261, Center North 170, Center
South 159, Cleveland 205, Couyng
ham E. N. 139, Couyngham W. N.
130, Couyngham W. No. I, 105,
Conyngham W. No. 2, 46, Couy
ngham S. W. 163, CouvnghamS. E.
105, Fishingcreek E. 192, Fishing
creek W. 91, Franklin 132, Green
wood E. 183, Greenwood W. 152,
Hemlock N. 166, Hemlock S. 75.
Jackson 167, Locust N. 95, Locust S.
184, Madison 238, Main 170, Mifflin
295, Mi!lville 1S0,' Montour 195,
Mt. Pleasant 165, Orange township
:oi, Orangeville Boro. 117, Pine
N. 129, Pine S. 109, Roaringcreek
136, Scott E. 254. Scott W. 125,
SugarloafN. 240, Sugarloaf S. 136,
Stillwater Boro. 61, total 12,384.
ATTENDANCE AT FAIR.
Reports preseuted to the execu
tive committee of the Columbia
County Agricultural Society at
their meeting Saturday showed
that there were 30,000 paid admis
sions, 3,200 less than last year, the
banner year in the history of the
fair, a record that is considered 1
remarkable one, considering the
financial condition of the country.
Based on the number of tickets
sold, and estimating the conserva
tive figure of two persons to one
admission, there were at least 60,
000 people on the fair grounds dur
ing the fair. All the other receipts
were practically the same as the
previous year.
til
if ;!
IS