Newspaper Page Text
TrE UNITED BRETHREN CHURCH.
HE United Brethren church in
Bellefonte is an organization that
dates away back into the twenties.
The original church was a log building,
erected about 1825. The original trus-
tees wore Jacob Roop, Geo. Lonberger,
John Sitman, John Perdue and Abram
Switzer. The present lot was purchased
from James and Mary Smith for the
sum of $50, the deed being granted Oct.
2, 1830, some time after the church was
built. Among the families connected
with the church in its early history were
the Roops, the Bathursts, the Barletts,
the Hoffmans, the Resides, the Lucases
and the Housers. In 1855 the old log
church gave place to a commodious
frame structure which stood until 1891,
when the present building was erected.
It is & neat brick structure, composed of
a main auditorium and a lecture room
to the side, with a movable partition be-
tween ; the seating capacity of the
church being 400.
Following are the pastors who haveserv-
ed the charge since 1847 : 1847-8 Chas.
Crowell ; 1848-50 Wm Stevenson ; 1850-
62 Henry Lovell; 1852-3 R. G. Rankin;
1853.4 S. N. Hall ; 1854-5 J. Walker;
1856 6 1. Potter; 1856-7 Henry Lovell ;
1857.9 R. G. Rankin; 1859-61 A. Cro-
well ; 1861-2 D. Shearer ; 1862 64 J. F.
Tallhelm ; 1864-56 J. Walker; 1865-6
J. L. Baker; 1866-7 James Grant;
1867-8 H. Moore; 1868 9 J. A. Clem ;
1869-72 J. M. Smith ; 1872-3 D. Strayer;
1873-6 J. M. Smith; 1876.9 W. IH.
Mattern : 1879-80 J. M. Smith ; 1880-3
J. F. Tallhelm ; 1883-6 B. J. Hummel;
1885-6 C. Wortman; 1886 7 C. W.
Wasson ; 1887-9 Geo. Noden ; 1889 92
Geo. W. Eminheizer; 1892-4 W. H.
Blackburn. Among the earliest pas-
tors that the available records give were
John Sitman, John Rider, Hoffman,
Geo. Snyder, Geo. Miller and J. L.
Until recent years the church was
sarved in connection with a large coun-
try circuit. The charge has furnished a
large share of men to the ministry, some
of whom have been of eminent service
to the church. Rev. B. C. Shaw is the
present pastor. The membership is
about 125, with about the same number
in the Sunday school. Mrs. Elizabeth
Rote, who is now in her ninetieth year,
and Mrs. Mary Reece are the two oldest
members of the church, both having
united with the church many years ago.
HiT Cd BF
THE PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
HE St. John’s Protestant Episcopal
Churoh organization may date the
year of its foundation at 1825. In
that year two ladies, Mrs. Harriet Wil-
son and Mrs. James Gregg, of York,
Pa., being on a visit to Bellefonte in
search of health, and being visited by
Mr. Piggott, who having found two
other Episcopalian families, determined
to hold public services. The congrega-
tion held services for a number of years
in halls, one of them being the Masonic
ball, and was soon made a mission sta-
tion and attached to Lewistown. In
1836 it was organized into a separate
parish. In 1838 the first rector was se-
cured in the person of Rev. George W.
Natt. In 1842 the first church was
built and in 1843 a rectory. On May
15, 1839 the church was incorporated.
The present church is a handsome
stone building on the corner of Alle-
gheny and Lamb streets, and was built
in 1869. The rectory is on Lamb street
adjoining the church. It was erected
and presented to the parish by William
F. Reynolds in 1877. The combined
property is valued at $22,000. The
membership is about 100 and the Sab-
bath school numbers 50. Rev. Robert
E. Wright is the rector.
THE RoMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH,
N 1824 the first services were held in
Bellefonte by a Catholic priest. From
that year until 1828 it was a mission
point in charge of the priest of the Bed.
ford parish, who held services in Wil-
liap Welch’s residence on High street.
In 1818 it became a separate parish with
time included besides Bellefonte, Lock
Haven, Jersey Shore, Howard and Pot-
ter. Later it included Hecla Furnace,
Washington Furnace, Philipsburg and
In 1883 the foundation for the present
handsome church was laid. Bishop
Shannon laid the corner stone one year
later and in 1889 the church was dedi-
cated by Rt. Rev. Bishop Thomas Mec-
Govern, at one time pastor of this
charge. It is of white sand stone built
on the gothic style of architecture and is
the finest church property in town. In
addition, a pastoral residence has just
been completedof the same material.
The value of the entire property is fully
$75,000. Rev. P. McArdle has been
the rector since 1880. The parish in-
cludes about 1,000 souls. The church
and rectory are on Bisnop street east of
Allegheny. There is connected with
the church a Parochial school with 120
pupils in the three departments. These
schools opened in 1890 in the old church
building and are under the supervision
of five sisters. They will soon move
into the old pastoral residence, which
will become their home when Rov. Me-
Ardie takes up his residence in the new.
EMBERS of the Society of Friends
MD were among the first residents of
* Baollefonte. Among these were
the Valentines, Thomases, Millers and
Irvins. In 1832 the Friends meeting
house was built by the Valsatine broth-
ers— (George, Reuben, Bond and Abram,
and their partner, W. A. Thomas.
They built it on their own land for the
use of such Friends as wished to wor-
ship there. In 1837 the Friends grave-
yard was laid out, and in the same year
a committee from the Baltimore yearly
meeting visited Bellefonte and the latter
society united with the Orthodox
Friends. The organization has since
been kept up and numbers at present
about fifteen families. The moeting
house is on Logan street. It is a very
plain little one-story lime stone struc-
ture, the very simplicity ot which seems
to proclaim the gentle unostentatious
St. Joan's REFORMED CHURCH.
T. John’s Reformed congregation was
originally organized by Rev. Ephri-
am Koeiffer in 1836 in connection
with the Lutherans, and remained a
union congregatign,served alternately by
Lutheran and Reformed pastors until
1843 when Rev. Wm. R. Yearick who
succeeded Rev. Keiffer, reorganized the
¢)ngregation as an exclusively Reformed
congregation. This congregation, then
constituted a part of the Rebersburg
charge composed of eight congregations
scattered throughout Brush, Sugar and
Nittany valleys. Rev. Yearick continu-
to labor in this field until the annual
meeting of classes in 1847, when Nittany
valley was constituted a separate charge,
and Rev, Yearick became its pastor.
This new charge consisted of the Belle-
fonte, Zion, Snydertown, Jacksonville
and Salona congregations. In 1852
another division occurred constituting
Bellefonte, Zion, Nazareth, and Marsh
Creek the Belletonte charge. This new
charge was irregularly served by Rev.
Geo. S. Fog and by a committee until
1855 when Rev. J. S. Schade became
the regular pastor. He continued in
charge until 1857, when he was succeed-
ed by Rev. D. G. Kline—Rev. Kline’s
pastorate continued until 1863, when
“on account of serious dissensions” he
On account of these dissensions the
Bellefonte congregation had almost be-
come extinct and had it not been for the
heroic efforts of elder John Hoffer and
a few other earnest men, the organiza-
tion would have disbanded, The charge
was vacant until 1864 when Rev. Eph-
rium L. Sheip became pastor. Rev.
Sheip was killed by an accident in 1866.
His successor Rev. D. W. Kelley was
installed pastor in 1867, and *continued
for about a year when he resigned. The
charge now consisted of Bellefonte, Zion
and Houserville, From 1868 to May
1870 the charge was vacant, and in a
condition that bordered upon dissolu-
tion. At the regular meeting of classes
in May 1870 Rev. D. M. Wolf, D. D.,
became pastor, and continued in the
field until May 1873, when he resigned
to accept the chair of Ancient Langu-
ages in Franklin and Marshall College.
When Dr. Wolf became pastor he found
everything demoralized, and at his first
communions he had but 67 communi-
cants in the entire charge, and less than
20 in the Bellefonte congregation. Dur-
ing his pastorate of three years, he laid
the foundations upon which the large
and prosperous congregations were rear-
ed in all three of these charges.
Rev. Hiram King succeeded Dr. Wolf
in the fall of 1873 and continued pastor
of the Bellefonte charge then consisting
of Bellefonte and Zion until May 1879.
Rev. King succeeded as well as could be
expected, and especially in the Belle-
fonte congregation. The great disad-
vantage being the want ofa proper
church building and parsonage. Rev.
King was succeeded by Rev. J. F. De-
long, who remained pastor until 1886.
During this pastorate the elegant new
church on the cornerof Linn und Spring
streets was erected and practically a new
arsonage took the place of the old one.
e left the Bellefonte congregation
in a condition that it compared favor-
ably with any of the congregations
in town, and from this time on the
growth was rapid and substantial. Rev.
‘W. H. H. Snyder succeeded Rav. De-
of his success he was suddenly stricken
down with a fatal malady and died on
Easter day 1889.
Rev. Snyder unti | May 1890 the charge
was supplied by Mr. M. O. Nolla sem-
pastor in May 1890, and continued un-
til January 1895, when he resigned to
accept the pastorate ot the Reformed
church at Carlisle, Pa.
pastor is Rev. R L* Gerhart,
installed in April of this year.
school of 180 enrolled. The church
property is valued at about $25,000.
copal church was organized.
From the death of
nary student who became the regular
The congregation numbers 210 com-
with a Sunday
ArricAN METHODIST EPrIscorAL
ION’S Wesleyan African Metho-
Z dist Episcopal church was organiz-
ad in 1836 at Bellefonte. In 1844
the Bellefonte African Methodist Hpis-
the two wera consolidated as the African
Methodist Episcopal church of Belle-
fonte. A church was built in the west-
ern part of the borough at that time
which is still occupied. It is frame
structure, very commodious and at pres-
ent is the scene of an earnest christian
work under charge of evangelist Rev.
H. A. Grant. Thechurch has 55 active
members with a Sunday school of 60
The present secretaries of the church
are William Mills and L. C. Green.
Tone LuTnErRAN CHURCH.
T. John’s Kvangelical Lutheran
®) church was founded by Rev. J. C.
Hggers in 1844. He began preach-
ing in Bellefonte at that time and or-
ganized a congregation of eighteen mem-
bers. Uniting with the Reformed con-
grogation a union church was built
which was used until 1869, when the
congregation sold out its share of the
church to the Reformed congergation,
and bought and remodeled the Kpisco-
pal church property, which had been
built on jail hill, in 1842. This church
was dedicated in 1870 and was used un-
til 1887 when it was destroyed by fire.
In 1889 the present very neat brick edi-
fice on the corner of Allegheny and Linn
streets was begun, and was completed
in 1893. It is in size 50 by 100 feet.
The value is $15,000. A parsonage is
shortly to be erected, the ground on
which it is to be built being already se-
cured by the congregation. The pastors
since Rev. Eggers, have been Jacob Al-
bert, Rev. W. H. Hackenberg until 1864,
J.A. Tomlinson, Rev. W. H. Lilly until
1877, Rev. W. tH. Diven until 1878,.
Rev. S. E. Furst until - 1888, Chas. T.
Steck since which time Rev. Ed. HK.
Hoshour has been the pastor. The mem-
bership 1s about 125 with a Sunday
school of about 80.
Tor UNITED EVANGELICAL CHURCH.
HE United Evangelical church of
Bellefonte was organized under the
pastorate of Rev. EE. W. Koontz, in
1889. For two years it was connected
with the Milesburg circuit. In March,
1892, it became a separate charge. The
church on Willowbank street was dedi-
cated by Bishop W. M. Stanford, in
October, 1892. In March, 1893, Rev.
G. E. Zehner, who is serving his third
year, became the pastor. The present
membership is 50. The Sunday school
numbers 140. The Keystone League of
Christian Endeavor has 30 active and 22
associate members. The work of the
congregation is very encouraging. The
church is a neat frame structure occu-
pying a large lot overlooking Logan’s
ranch. Itis of modern architecture
and a most creditable evidence of the
earnestness of a small congregation.
® tion in 1876. This was maintained
for a number of years. There is at
present, however, no pastor and no dis-
HE Baptists organized a congroga-
The Disciples had a church organiza-
tion for a number of years but there is
none at present.
* * *
The Seventh Day Adventists have re-
Rev. Father O'Reilly as rector. In 1831
a church was built. The parish at that
long, and under his care the member-
!ship increased rapidly. In the midst
services every Saturday in the old
Methodist church building on east High
* * *
Y. M. C. A.—This is in a flourishing
It was organized in 1869
and has been in continuous existence
since. It has very cosy rooms on North
Allegheny street, has a library of 1,500
volumes, fifty periodicals on file in the
reading room and has a gymnasium.
There are about 200 sustaining members.
ten. James A. Beaver is the president.
KF. H. Cota is the general secretary.
The annual expense is $1,600.
* * *
W.0.7.0U, and Y. W.0, T.U.
About twenty years 'ago the W. C. T.
U. was organized. Later the Y's ef-
fected an organization. Both are in a
flourishing condition and have very neat
rooms in the Crider’s Exchange build-
temperance meetings a men’s club was
organized and gospel temperance meet-
ings are held each Sabbath. A loan
library, and a sewing school are in
successful operation. The societies
gocieties are very active and have dis-
pensed much in public charity.
AN OLD LETTER.
Following is a copy of a letter written in
its interesting nature.
ly day iron manufacturer in Philipsburg of
which town he was one of the first settlers and
built a Forge at Cold Stream in 1817.
built the first screw factory in the United
PuinieseurGg, May 5th, 1842.
board measure, which you can send for, when-
ever it may be convenient to you.
a case so peculiarly interesting as that in-
In 1891 as a result of a series of
Its contents will explain it and prove
Its author was an ear-
Dear Sir: =I am favored with your letter of
the 2nd inst, soliciting my assistance towards
the cost of building a parsonage house at
Bellefonte, towards which I will cheerfully
contribute five thousand feet of dry boards,
that my means do not justify more extensive
aid, but such heavy expenses are constantly
peeping upon me, among which at this time
is the rebuilding of our church, that, even in
volving the comfort of our good friend and ex-
The Life of the Man who Did
Most for the Substanti-
ablity of the Town.
Daniel G. Bush, Esq., was born in
Granville township, Bradford county,
Pa., March 28, 1826. His ancestor,
John Bush, was a captain in the French
and Indian war, and was with Gen.
Braddock on the memorable 9th of
July 1757, when the latter was defeated
near Fort Duquesne.
Capt. Jo hn Bush’s son, Daniel Bush
(grandfather of D. G. Bush, Esq.,) was
a surveyor, and as such was employed
by the Spanish government to make
surveys in Louisiana in the year 1798.
He was a man of more than ordinary
ability, and had received a liberal educa-
tion, but crippled by a broken leg im-
properly set. Ile settled down in Litch-
field, Bradford county, in the year 1807.
He surveyed that portion of New York
where the city of Auburn now stands.
Joseph Bush (father of D. G. Bush,
Ksq.,) was a millwright by trade, and
married Lucretia Putnam, a daughter
of John Putnam. The latter removed
from Great Barrington, Mass., and lo-
cated in Granville in the year 1818.
He had served three years in the Revo-
lutionary war, and was a man of great
decision of character, tenacity of pur-
pose, and integrity, not unworthy of his
illustrious kinsman, Gen. Israel Put-
D. G. Bush, the subject of our sketch,
was left an orphan at the early age of
sixteen years without means, his father
having exhausted his estate in some un-
fortunate investments, and in giving
security for neighbors, a kindness which
in those early days of our State brought
so many people into trouble and broke
up many happy homes. Mr. Bush was
no exception, and his children werasepa-
rated, Daniel going to work upon a farm
at six dollars a month for the nine
months of the year, and attending the
public schools in the winter in an en-
deavor to better the limited education
—————————E———————————— —————————————————————LL UL A cs CD - rA.
ter told him there were three letters in
the office for him. There was, however
fifteen cents postage due upon them.
He told the postmaster he had no
money, and would have to come the
next day for them. The postmaster,
however, allowed him to take them
along upon a promise he would pay for
them the next day. Seizing the letters
with bright hopes, Bush rushed to his
room and opened them, expecting a re-
mittance at least in one of them. But
instead were excuses and censures of
what they called his ‘‘mulish propen-
sity” for an education.
Here was a real quandary ; his word
pledged for fifteen cents, and not an ac-
quaintance in school or anybody he
knew to borrow from. Heaven favors
those who help themselves, and hearing
that Mr. Williams, who lived just be-
yond the school grounds, was employ-
ing help to dig his garden, Mr. Bush
went directly to him, informed him
that four hours were allowed for exercise
and he would like to employ them prof-
itably. Mr. Williams offered six and
one-fourth cents compensation for every
hour Mr. Bush should work for him.
The latter put in two hours that night
and two the next morning, and made
enough to keep his word good with the
We may add Mr. Bush had employ-
ment at the garden until it was planted,
and employed every Saturday working
for farmers at the rate of fifty cents =
day, yet the close of the term found him
in debt for his board and tuition. Not
discouraged, he worked during the
whole vacation for Mr. Metealfe for
twenty dollars a month, doing it so sat-
isfactorily that his employer added five
dollars to his wages, saying that he
had richly deserved it. This. with two
weeks in the harvest field, brought
around the time of opening of his second
term at the academy.
On his entry upon his second term
Mr. Bush decided he must have oheap-
er board than one dollar a week. He
accordingly bought one yard of muslin
made a meal-bay, and with a peck of
corn meal and a quart of molasses com-
menced boarding himself, which he
actually accomplished while he continu-
| Col. who was born in Bellefonte, in
cellent minister Mr. Natt, more is not in my
power, 1 had in fact several thoughts of ap-
plying to your church in aid of ours,but under
the circumstances you mention, this is of
course out of the question, but there is anoth-
er subject on which Philipsburg ought to have
the co-operation. 1 do not say the assistance of
Bellefonte. The efforts of the Clearfield people
to destroy the old turnpike road are well
known. Those efforts are still actively at
work. Both Bellefonte aad Philipsburg are
deeply interested in maintaining the old road .
the most effectual means for which is the con-
struction of a turnpike road to connect the old
and new roads west of Philipsburg. Judge
Burnside was so convinced of this, that he
procured an act of assembly to incorporate a
company to construct such road, and agreed
that when he was President, that it our com-
pany would subscribe $300 the Bellefonte
would subscribe $500. Examinations of the
route have twice been made and several fav-
orable courses discovered, varying in length
from 24 miles to 4 miles. Our company has
subscribed its $300 and I, individually, $160.
But though all the circumstances have been
laid before the Bellefonte board long ago, no
action has been had on the subject, and with.
out it the work cannot be commenced. I am
not aware whether yon area manager, but
whether or not, [ shall be obliged Ly youl rup-
resenting these things in the proper quarter,
in which I am sure ycu will have the active
aid of our friend Col. Burnside, and I beg to
add that it is of very great importance that an
early decision should be had.
Very truly and respectfully
To James F. Hale, Esq., Bellefonte, Pa.
ANOTHER GOVERNOR WHO WAS
BORN IN CENTRE COUNTY.
It will doubtless be a genuine sur-
prise to our many readers to know
that Centre county is the birth place
of the new Governor of Colorado. It
is the fact that the successor of
“Bloody Bridles” Waite is a native
of this county, having been born up
Buffalo Run a number of years ago.
His name is A. W.McEntire and as that
is a well known family name at Fill-
more, a relationship with this lately
found son of Centre county might be
traced by the present postmaster at
This information was brought here-
by James S. Kent, of Grand Junction,
1826. He is a cattle. broker in the
west now and made the acquaintance
of Gov. McEntire when he was cam-
paigning last fall. The two gentle
men were talking of their native States
when the discovery was made that
both were born in this county. MecEn-
tire was afterwards elected and makes
another Governor that Centre county
has sent out.
——That tired feeling” only re-
quires some simple supportive like a
glass of milk, a cup of tea or coffee, or
a dose of Sarsaparilla to relieve it ; but
when you have real disease lurking in
your system, you need Dr. Pierce’s
Golden Medical Discovery.
For every disease caused by a torpid
liver or impure blood, Dyspepsia, *‘Liv-
er Complaint,” the most stubborn Skin,
Scalp, or Scrofulous affections—even
Consumption, or Lungserofula in its
earlier stages—Dr. Pierce’s Golden
Medical Discovery is the only remedy
so sure and effective that can be guar-
anteed. 1f it doesn’t benefit or cure, you
have your money back. Can anything
else be ‘just as good” for you to buy ?
——Lyon & Co’s., mammoth store in
this place 18 crowded every day with
people who are wise enough to take ad-
vantage of the great sacrifice sale now
advertised by that firm.
IMPORTANT Facrs.—If you have
dull and heavy pain across forehead and
about the eyes, if the nostrils are fre-
quently stopped up and followed by a
disagreeable discharge ; if soreness in
the nose and bleeding from the nostrils
is often experienced ; if you are very
sensitive to cold in the head accompan-
ied with headache ; then you may be
sure you have catarrh ; and should im-
mediately resort to Ely’s Cream Balm
for a cure. The remedy will give in-
and many an evening he spent in study,
end of which rested upon the floor, and
of his boyhood.
His earnestness and assiduity made up
ina large measure for want of means;
lying upon his back upon a board, one
the other upon the hearth of the stove,
with no other light than that obtained
through its open doors. In the district
schools of that day in the backwoods of
Bradford county, reading, writing,
spelling, and arithmetic as far as the
‘single rule of three’’ were the sum total
of an education. Grammar and geog-
raphy were rarely entered upon.
n spite of these disadvantages, with
the motto Labor omnia vincit always in
mind, Mr. Bush soon rose from being
scholar to the post of teacher, and hav-
ing determined upon the law as a pro-
fession, in 1846 entered his name as a
student in the office of Ulysses Mercur,
He pursued his studies and taught his
year in New Albany, Bradford county,
around.” He was not satigfiad, bow-
ever, with his attainments In the pre-
paratory studies, and the following
Whitestown Academy, near Utica,
The story of D. G. Bush’s adventures
at Whitestown in search of an educa-
illustration of his stern firmness, which
afterwards raised him to such high rank
as a business man, as well as an incen-
tive to others encumbered in early life
by like difficulties.
llaving finished his winbr term
(1846-47), he received a scheol order for
his pay, but on applying tothe district
treasurer for his money he vas told that
there was no money in the teary, and
he would have to wait untilit was col-
lected, which might be in tireamonths,
or not for a year. This wis ¢ damper
on his aspirations, but he vas ot to be
overcome by that difficulty.
Scraping together what kttl money
he could collect of other duesgix dol-
lars in all, in opposition to thewdvice of
his friends, and with a promis that the
money due him from the directors
should be sent him, he put |s effects
into an old valise, swung itipon his
shoulder, and staft in hand &rted for
the Mohawk River.
He traveled up the Shenazo valley
by Binghampton, a distan¢ of two
hundred miles, on foot to Witestown.
He arrived about the 1st of Aril, 1847,
and stopped at a hotel in theaburbs of
the town, one of the proietors of
which, Maj. Schofield, was jen assist-
ing in enlisting a company f the war
against Mexico. Mr. Bushpplied at
the school, and found that siough the
rooms were furnished to s¢e extent,
his first purchase would he to be a
bed to sleep upon. Here Ww a dilem-
ma : out ot his six dollars had but
three dollars and fifty centsft, and for
the first time he felt discouged.
He made up his mind to)andon his
design to better his mental fining, and
concluded he would enlist the com-
pany and join the martialost bound
for the halls of the Montamas. He
accordingly opened his nd to Maj.
Schofield, but the latter, er hearing
a statement of the difficultiMr. Bush
had overcome thus far, arbeing de-
lighted with his pluck, tohim by no
means to give up his intéon to ob-
tain an education, and aded him to
let others go to war.
The major told him to ga bed-tick,
fill it with straw, and would lend
him a pillow and hap, ding some
good advice which helpshape Mr.
Bush'’s subsequent career.
After paying his bill afe hotel our
adventurer had but twe-five cents
left. He engaged board the hall at
one dollar per week, ancommenced
school. The mornings © cold, and
on applying at the wood d for a dol-
lar’s worth of wood on citit was re-
fused. He thereupon, whis twenty-
five cents, bought five s#, borrowed
a wheelbarrow and axe, iby economy
made the wood last thro the session.
Having no money to |candles he
went in the evenings he rooms of
other students, pleadinpnesomeness
as an excuse to study byir light.
contly organized a congregation but
have no pastor at present. They hold
In the course of Hiejer repeated
inquiry at the post-offiche postmas-
Esq., of Towanda, Pa., now Judge Mer-
cur, ofthe Supreme Court of Penn-
first school during the winter of that
at ten dollars per month, ‘boarding
spring (1847) determined to enter
tion is well worthy of record, by way of
ed at school, at the incredibly low price
of thirty-one cents a week.
The following winter he spent in
teaching near Oswego,N. Y., and in the
spring of 1849 came to Pennsylvania,
where he taught one year in White D=zr
valley, in Lycoming county. Here be-
coming acquainted with the method of
teaching geography from Pelton’s ‘out-
line maps, it occurred to him to go to
Philadelphia to see the author with a
view to become an agent for the sale of
Pelton employed Mr. Bush a few
weeks in writing up the revision of his
maps, and while so employed a circum-
stance occurred which indicated the busi-
ness composition of Mr. Bush’s charac-
ter, and had a very favorable reflex in-
fluence upon his then fortunes. An or-
der came for a set of maps to be deliver-
ed at the depot by a certain hour. Pel-
ton went out for a wagon to take them
out, but not being able to find one re-
turned, expressing much regret at the
disappointment that would ensue to the
consignee. Mr. Bush relieved him by
saying ‘he would have them at the depot
in time,” and then and there shouldered
tho box, which Was six feet long, deliv-
ered it in time, and returned with the
receipt. Pelton forthwith made him
general agent for the sale of his maps in
the State, a position which he held un-
til 1856, when he settled in Bellefonte to
finish reading for the bar.
Meanwhile, what money he saved he
placed in the hands of a cousin, D. B.
Colton, of Athens, Pa., as his partner in
investments in buildings and lots in that -
town. His first insight into law prac-
tice was looking up the affairs of this
concern, which he found utterly insol-
vent under Colton’s management, his
earnings, three thousand dollars, gone,
and a firm debt of two hundred dollars
to pay, leaving him after eight years’
struggles where he started in life—with-
out a dollar.
After reading the prescribed period
Mr. Bush was admitted te the Belle-
fonte bar on the 29th of April, 1857,
and commenced practice, giving to his
profession his unbounded energy, stimu-
lated by enforced poverty. A Demo-
crat in politics, he Pac taken a very ac-
tive part in the campaign of 1856, and
1857 was appointed mercantile appraiser
by the commissioners of the county.
Far-sighted as a business man, coupled
with a daring disposition, he turned
naturally into the real estate business,
in which he has made a record as a solid
business man, and forgotten almost that
he ever was poor.
On the 14th of December, 1858, he
was married to Miss Louisa Tomb,
daughter of the late George Tomb, Hsq.,
of Jersey Shore, and located permanent-
ly at Bellefonte. In 1862 he took the
late George M. Yocum, KEsq., into his
office as a law partner, declining him-
self the active practice of law, having
enough business interests of his own to
occupy his whole time.
As a politician, Mr. Bush has been
prominent as an energetic worker with-
out regard to party reward. It may be
stated, however, in this connaction that
his name was presented by the Democ-
racy of Centre county for Congress in
1868, but at Mr. Bush’s request it was
withdiawn in favor of the candidate
named by the Democracy of Clinton
county, Hon, L. A. Mackey. In 1876
the Democracy of Centre county again
presented the name of Mr. Bush for
Congress, and he again desired its with-
drawal in favor of Mr. Mackey.
As may be inferred from the incidents
of his life, Mr. Bush has been altogether
the artificer of his own reputation and
fortunes. He has been an intensely
busy man all of his life, and has demon-
strated in the improvements he has
made in Bellefonte his capacity for busi-
ness upon a large scale. He may be
characterized as a man of great adminis-
trative ability, quick to think and to de-
cide, pushing with energy to completion
whatever he undertakes.
_ To him the borough of Bellefonte is
indebted for its most valuable improve.
ments. In 1865 he commenced the erec-
tion of his elegant private residence
in which ideas of luxury and home com-
forts are notably combined. In the fol-
lowing year he erected what is known as
“Bush Arcade” a large brick block on
High street near Spring Creek, one hun-
dred and twenty-seven feet long and six-
ty feet deep.
; Concluded on Page 6.