The Nittany cub. (Erie, Pa.) 1948-1971, March 04, 1960, Image 1

Below is the OCR text representation for this newspapers page. It is also available as plain text as well as XML.

    HE NITTANY CUBfefcft
OFFICIAL STUDENT PUBLICATION
VOLUME ~s/l, No. 6
STUDENT BODY TO TRIPLE
Literary Club
To Prove
Culture's Fun
The first meeting of the Literary-
Club was held February 11 at the
common hour. The purpose of the
club is not only cultural stimula
tion but also to be helpful and en
joyable to the members.
Ed Mandel -was elected presi
dent, Rita Panameroff vice presi
dent, and Mrs. Grace Davies secre
tary-treasurer. Dean Lane will act
as advisor for the club. Meetings
will be held every two weeks,
alternating between the common
hour and evening meetings at the
homes of the members.
As yet, no definite program has
been adopted, but there are many
suggestions. The club would like to
(Continued on Page 4)
rom. seated: Nancy . _be, James L. Alt
man, President, lossiter, Pa.; Katherine V. Johnson,
Secretary, Bradford, Pa.; standing: Richard T. Sosnow
ski, North East, Pa.; 'Alan L. Wmik, Pittsburgh, Pa.;
BEHREND CAMPUS—Pennsylvania State University
COUNCIL ELECTS
Recently elected Student
Council members include Jim
Altman, president; Jim Hig
gins, vice-president; Katie
Johnson, secretary; Mike Mul
ligan, treasurer; Bonnie Camp
bell, activities chairman; A 1
Wnuk, Ike Sosnowski, Edward
Mandel, Nancy McCabe, Rich
ard Scott, and Linda Steiner.
Sixteen Students
Attain Dean’s List
The fall semester of 1959 has
been very good for Behrend as far
as grades are concerned. Sixteen
students made the Dean’s List with
averages of 3.50 to 4.00 for the
semester. Thirty-five students are
on the Honor Roll with averages of
3.00 to 3.49.
(Continued on Page 4)
$4 Million Facilities
Plans for a multi-million-dollar expansion program for Behrend
Campus were announced recently by Irvin H. Kochel, director.
Mr. Kochel disclosed that the project will be started in the near
future and will provide facilities for an eventual enrollment of 1,500
students. He pointed out that a student body of 1,000 is forecast
by 1970.
Mordi Gras Opens
Spring Festivities
The annual Mardi Gras was re
cently held in Erie Hall. The
Mardi Gras is a combination dance
and carnival which is based on the
Mardi Gras of New Orleans. The
gymnasium was decorated in ac
cordance with this idea. Prizes of
stuffed animals were awarded for
the funniest and most original
costumes worn.
Don Freedman and his band
(Continued on Page 4)
Linda Steiner, Edward Mandel. Absent when the picture
was taken were; Michael J. Mulligan, Treasurer; James
M. Higgins, Vice President; Richard G. Scott and Bonnie
Jean Campbell.
Friday, March 4, 1960
Expansion Outlined
The fact that the Penn State
University plans to close some of
its centers because of lack of funds
from the state appropriations
would seem to make this whole
idea virtually impossible, but
thanks to the generosity of the
Behrend family, the fii*st steps
have already been taken. The
board of trustees has approved the
plans for a new science and engi
neering building, a new ' sewage,
system, and plans to increase the
water supply. The construction
work should begin this summer,
probably by July, and is expected
to be completed by the fall of 1961.
(Continued on Page 2)