C.C. reader. ([Middletown, Pa.]) 1973-1982, December 06, 1982, Image 1
Fall enrollment sets school record By Tim Hagan This fall Capitol Campus enrolled the largest number of undergraduates in the history of the campus, according to Mary E. Gundel, Director of Admissions. Undergraduate enrollment this term stands at 1,813. This is the first time enrollment has gone over the 1,800 mark. The majority of undergraduates, 688, are enroll ed in the Business Administra tion Division. The next highest enrollment, 655, is in the Science, Engineering, and Technology Division. 'Together, enrollment in these two divi sions account for more than 80 percent of the student body. "Three of Capitol's engineer ing technology programs this year had more students seeking admission than the programs could handle," Gundel reported. "For the first time in ten years, admission to these programs had to be stopped in early March," she said. Undergraduates enrolled in the other divisions include, Behavioral Science and Educa tion, 106; Humanities, 83; Elementary Education, 5n , ; Public Policy, 45; and Math Science, 29. Almost 50 percent of the new students enrolled at Capitol this term came from other cam puses in the Penn State system. The Penn State campus at Hazelton led with the most students coming to Capitol. Thirty percent of the new students came from community colleges with 25 percent of them coming from Harrisburg Area Community College. Over the past 1982 Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall terms, 49.8 percent of the students came from other Penn State campuses, 32 percent from community colleges, nine percent from other two and four year colleges and universities out of state, and three percent from other schools, like nursing schools. The total number of students, undergrad and graduate, enroll ed at Capitol this term stands at an even 2,500. Approximately, 83 percent of the students attend Capitol full time, leaving 17 percent as part-time students. There are 700 students cur rently housed in the dor mitories, Meade Heights, and the university apartments. The rest of the students live off campus and have to commute. By Donna Kirker This Friday, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) faces a deadline that could af fect everyone at Capitol Cam pus. December tenth is the deadline for the NRC to decide whether to lift the 1979 orders that shut down the Unit One reactor at Three Mile Island (TMI). The NRC orders closing the undamaged Unit One were issued shortly after the March 1979 nuclear accident that crip pled the adjacent Unit 2 reactor at TMI. Capitol Vol. 17, No. 3 - Monday, December 6, 1982 lines Published by students of Penn State , Capitol Campus Summer session gets squeezed By Darlene Cammack In order for Capitol Campus to follow the same calendar system as the rest of the Penn State system, the summer ses sionl9B3 will last only six weeks. "We only have room for a six week summer session," said Duane R. Smith, Associate Pro. vost and Dean. "We would like it to be longer, but it just won't work." Smith said that the sessi o n needed to he shortened to allow time for registration for the : fa il a The sass' june will begin on August 1983 ,1383 d will end on • Students' w , to take a maxi u"sY ue allowed cre dit s and comm encement nium of eight ereisft for summer ex. net be graduates held. .w Studentsi ht be m g alarm e d that this may cause Problems for thenli but according to Stanley Miller, Divisional Chairnts,tl of Behavioral I restart overly If the NRC lifts the shut down orders, General Public Utilities (GPU), owner and operator of TMI, will be one step closer to realizing the actual reopening of Unit 1. This week's deadline comes after three and a half years of debate, public hearings, and financial and political power struggles. The issues that have arisen from the accident have multiplied, divided and in tersected into a conglomerate of hard-to-grasp debates and implications. The last of those public hear ings was held on November 9, in Harrisburg, where the five member NRC listened to 52 Please see "TMI" pages 8, 9 Sciences and Education, all the advisers were instructed to work with students on any pro blems they might have concern ing internships, graduation, or questions about course selections. "So far I'm only aware of two cases where there might be a problem with internships, Miller said. "These problems have been alleviated by having the students start their intern ships earlier." Miller also add ed that the faculty does not want to see any students hurt by the change, so they're trying to identify problems as early as possible. Says Miller: "I think things have gone quite smoothly." Harold L. Gilmore, Division Chairman of the Business Department, however, sees the problem differently. He says he would like more students to come and talk with him about any problems they might be ex periencing. Instead, he has got ten little response from students.